Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.70739°N / 125.36602°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 4724 ft / 1440 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A relatively small mountain compared to the others surrounding it, and definately not worth an entire trip just for this mountain, however it is a really pleasant hike if you are in the area for larger hikes.

Getting There

Access is by way of the Strathcona Parkway that goes to Mount Washington Ski Resort. Parking is at the Nordic Lodge, before proceeding onto the Paradise Meadows Trail. The trail that I took into Circlet was via Lake Helen Mackenzie and Hairtrigger lake, as this appeared to be the quickest route to Circlet, and we were short of time, but you could also make the approach by way of Battleship and Kwai Lakes, and combining the trails to do a loop trip is certainly possible.

Follow the trail towards Circlet Lake, until around 1 kilometer before the lake at a corner in the trail, if you look to your left, you will see a wooden sign that reads "Strata Trail."
User Profile Image
(sorry I forgot to make a way point on my GPS here.) Once at the sign turn right and follow cairns on the rock until you reach the forest. Upon reaching the woods strike directly up the hill through the timber, avoiding a precarious rock bluff on your right.
User Profile Image
Basically keep heading straight once you get above the trees, and walk through a couple of meadows with a few small tarns before reaching the top, which is really indistinct, however we did find a large cairn on a slightly higher mound that we took for the top.
User Profile Image
Once at the top you are rewarded with amazing views of Mount Albert Edward and Circlet Lake.

Most sources suggest hiking Strata by way of McPhee Lake, which is a small lake next to Circlet, however I took this route on the way down, and I strongly encourage people to take the other route I described, as this one is a hellish bush whack at a terrible angle with plenty of bluffs that you don't see until you're right there. Since there is no trail up this mountain, I strongly suggest hikers to take a reliable GPS.
User Profile Image

Red Tape

Sice this is a core area of Strathcona Park, a small overnight fee of $10 per person must be payed.

Camping

Since this is one of the core areas of Strathcona, caaping must be at designated sights. There are nice camp areas with outhouses and bear caches at Kwai and Circlet Lakes. Take note however that especially on weekends Circlet can get quite busy.

External Links

Courtenay Weather Strathcona Park

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Forbidden PlateauMountains & Rocks