Super Bowl Party on Teanaway

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 1, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking

The Stats

Total Distance: 12 miles
Elevation Gain: 3800 feet
Total Summits: 2
Total Time Behind the T.V.: 0
Was it better than watching the Super Bowl. YES!!!!


From the summit




From the summit


Well it was a choice! Watch a Super Bowl in which none of the teams who are playing you care for or go out get some exercise and make the most of the day. Well the choice was crystal clear on this one, time to knock off two summits in one day. Teanaway Butte and Tarzan Butte were the perfect duo to knock off. With a seven man crew the snowshoe part of the trip was going to be easy, or so we though.

We headed up Jungle Creek road which was quiet uneventful. The faint shots of Tarzan Butte and of snowcovered forest and stream but outside of the washout, nothing shocking. Then came the steep section up to the summit of Teanaway Butte. This is where that map from one the past trip report on this peak REALLY helped me. It kept our crew from mistaking the false summit from the true summit. This steep section was a little tough on some of us but we managed in good time make the summit successful.

From the summit


The views on top of Teanaway Butte were actually far better than I was expecting. The former lookout site delivered with 360 degree panoramas of Stuart and many of the Enchantments and the Teanaway Region to the north as well as some of the smaller mountains to the south. With the sun out we got to soak in some well need sun rays on our body.

The trip down was a little tougher on the crew. One of our people had his knee blow out which cause him to have to side traverse Tarzan Butte instead of grabbing the summit. Also we have to go a little slower while heading to Tarzan Butte in order to make sure we were going the right way.

Tarzan Butte


Then of course once you run into Tarzan Butte that steep 700 feet of gain maybe a cakewalk in summer, with snowshoes after knocking of Teanaway Butte it can be tiring. But most of us made it to the top of Tarzan Butte only to find out that the wooded summit only has limited views. Oh well, at least it is another summit down.

Teanaway Butte Summit Ridge


Summit Smiles


We headed down the steep summit down partly plunge stepping, partly glissading and met up with our other comrades and we slowly made our made back to the car via the dirt road. Most of us stayed close to the our injured comrade with one of us taking his pack. Though he hobbled on some sections he made it down very safely. But we were there just in case something more happened with his knee. Snowshoes were very neccessary here because the sun had softened some of the snow.

We made it down and changed just in time to hear the most important time of the Super Bowl where instead of eating tons of fun and watching it on T.V. we used the Super to keep us up on the ride home. It sounded like a good game. But by far we had a much better trip.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Redwic

Redwic - Mar 29, 2009 3:41 am - Voted 10/10

Great job!!!

An EastKing photo while wearing glasses!!! I can't believe it!!!

Oh, and the double-summit trip report was good, too. :-)
(I agree... It must have been better than the Super Bowl.)

gimpilator

gimpilator - Mar 29, 2009 12:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Times

This was one of the better trips this winter. Great reporting job here. I glad to see a couple of my photos as well.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Teanaway ButteTrip Reports
 
Tarzan ButteTrip Reports