Teanaway-Tarzan Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.33310°N / 120.896°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview of the Snowshoe Route

From the summit


Total Roundtrip Distance: 12 miles
Total Elevation Gain: 3000 feet


The Teanaway Region is home to great mountains and much better wether than it western counterparts in the I-90 corridor. Not only is the weather the snow is better and often dry with less ice than on the western side of the Cascades. That being said the weather can be much more extreme temperature wise, so keep an eye out on the temps before heading out.

What make this loop so special is that it is one of the few accessible winter dayhikes in the Teanaway Region. Most of the other mountain require either a long snowshoe and camp in or a snowmobile ride to the trailhead. Second this loop contains going up two different summits which is good for summit hounds. The third reason is because of the views off of the summit of Teanaway Butte are actually very beautiful in winter which really helps make this one special loop snowshoe experience.

Getting There

From via Route 970 in winter: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. There will a turnaround where you will have to park on the left side road along with the snowmobilers

Route Description

Map of the route


Start off on the Jungle Creek Road and stay on the road for 5 miles all the way to the to the trailhead. On the way there will be a number of road that head to the left. Avoid them and continue on the main road which will follow Jungle Creek all of the way to a trailhead sign. When you reach this sign make a left here. If it hasn't snow in a while there will usually be track here (but don't count on it). From here it is a STEEP trip up to the summit. There is a false summit with limited views roughly a quarter mile from the summit. Veer right (west) to the true summit of Teanaway Butte. You will know you on the true summit when you see the great views offered from this summit.

To head to over Tarzan Butte head back towards the false summit. When on the false summit get a good look at Tarzan Butte. This next part is going to require some winter bushwacking so a map and compass is an absolute must if you are going to attempt both summit in winter. First head pretty much due east of the false summit and head on over to the second false summit. If clear keep a visual eye on your prize, Tarzan Butte. As seen on the map follow as much as possible the ridgeline down to the lower ridge that connect Teanaway and Tarzan Butte. Cross this ridge and then head up the very steep Tarzan Butte. Once you reach the wooded summit head straight down the even steeper eastern slopes which has some views along the way. An ice axe here might make life easier and ther might be some opportunities for some small glissades. Continue to ake the route all of the way to jeep road. When you reach that road head left and go downhill. After about a mile and a half you will reach Jungle Creek Road. Make a left here and take all of the way back to the car.

Essential Gear

SNowshoes, trekking poles and the ten essentials are most important. A good map is also a must. An ice axe as well with help on some of the steeper grades.

External Links

This page is one of the best pages to find regional trail conditions in Washington State.

Weather Conditions

Here are what the weather conditions would be from nearby Cle Elum.



alt="Click for Cle Elum, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.