Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.97163°N / 120.04353°W
Additional Information County: Okanogan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7608 ft / 2319 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Teapot Dome is a mountain found in the Pasayten Wilderness of Washington State. Located between taller and longer Bauerman Ridge to the west and Haig Mountain to the east, Teapot Dome looks considerably dwarfed in comparison. The open summit offers fantastic views of its two closest neighbors, as well as north into Canada (the border of which is less than two miles away) and south towards the Horseshoe Creek and Chewuch River valleys as well as Windy Peak.
Teapot DomeTeapot Dome

Teapot Dome is most commonly recognizable by two tall rock domes towering above Boundary Trail #533 on the mountain's south side. The westernmost (and shorter) dome is nicknamed "Children's Dome", and the easternmost (and taller) dome is nicknamed "Numina Dome". Many backcountry travelers in the northern Pasayten Wilderness can determine their locations by using these rock domes as a visual guide for the area.
Teapot DomeLooking At Children's Dome and Numina Dome

There are multiple ways to summit Teapot Dome, but all options are off-trail. The simplest option (YDS Class 2) for hikers is to leave Boundary trail #533 once the trail (~7000' elevation) is due south of the saddle connecting the southern end of Bauerman Ridge (on the west side of the saddle) to Children's Dome (on the east side of the saddle). Then hike approximately 0.25 miles due north up the forested slope to a flat area (~7400' elevation). Then turn east and hike approximately 0.25 miles, passing by a tiny unnamed lake, and up the western slope to the centrally-located and true summit (7608' elevation) of Teapot Dome.
NOTE: Do not confuse the rocky true summit with the several rock domes positioned around the outer rim of the mountaintop.
Teapot Dome SummitRocky Summit Area

Other summit routes are possible. A traverse east from Bauerman Ridge is also YDS Class 2, and despite being a longer route it would be a great way to summit two peaks in one trip while seeing great views of the peaks within the northern Pasayten Wilderness and Cathedral Provincial Park (Canada) in the process.
NOTE: A Route page for this traverse is currently in development.
Some avid hikers might choose to summit Teapot Dome via its eastern slope, although despite its short distance some YDS Class 3 scrambling would be needed. Rock climbers have yet another option: Climb either Children's Dome or Numina Dome to the mountaintop and then walk north to the true summit.

Getting There

OPTION #1:

From Tonasket, WA:
1) Drive Okanogan County Road 9437 (Hwy 7) north about 5.5 miles to County Road 9425.
2) Turn west on County Road 9425 and travel about 12 miles to Loomis.
3) From Loomis, continue on County Road 9425 for about 2 miles to County Road 4066.
4) Turn west on County Road 4066, which becomes Forest Service Road 39 (Toats Coulee Road), and continue for 20 miles to Long Swamp Campground.
5) Take FS Road 39-300 for 3 miles to the Chewuch Trailhead (~5600’ elevation).
NOTE: Road 39 is paved for most of the distance to the Road 39-300 junction. Road 39-300 is unpaved.

6) Hike Cathedral Driveway Trail #510A for 2.2 miles, to the intersection with Chewuch Trail #510 (~4200’ elevation).
7) Hike Chewuch Trail #510 for 3.6 miles, to the intersection with Tungsten Creek Trail #534 (~4700’ elevation).
8) Hike Tungsten Creek Trail #534 for 6.2 miles, to the intersection with Boundary Trail #533 (~6750’ elevation). This intersection is located at the site of the Tungsten Mine Camp.
5) Hike approximately 6.5 miles east along Boundary Trail #533 until between the southeastern side of Bauerman Ridge and the southwestern side of Teapot Dome, at approximately 7000' elevation.

------------


OPTION #2:

From Winthrop, WA:
1) Drive north on Okanogan County Road 1213 (West Chewuch Road) until it joins Forest Service Road 51.
2) Then drive for 29 miles to the Thirtymile Trailhead (~3600’ elevation).

3) Hike Chewuch Trail #510 for 8.8 miles, to the intersection with Tungsten Creek Trail #534 (~4700 elevation).
4) Hike Tungsten Creek Trail #534 for 6.2 miles, to the intersection with Boundary Trail #533 (~6750’ elevation). This intersection is located at the site of the Tungsten Mine Camp.
5) Hike approximately 6.5 miles east along Boundary Trail #533 until between the southeastern side of Bauerman Ridge and the southwestern side of Teapot Dome, at approximately 7000' elevation.

------------

Due to hiking distances, unpredictable weather patterns, and long winter seasons, Teapot Dome is best recommended to be attempted between late June to early September. Check with the Okanogan National Forest's Tonasket Ranger District for current trail, snow, and weather conditions at Tungsten Mine Camp.

Teapot Dome, and the major routes leading to the mountain, can be determined on Green Trails Map #20.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed in the Okanogan National Forest and Pasayten Wilderness. However, a backcountry permit must be filled-out (which can be done at any of the major trailheads) prior to entering the area.

Backcountry campsites can be found throughout the area, along any of the major established/maintained trails. Campsites are on a "first come, first served" basis, with no reservations.

There are two cabins located at Tungsten Mine Camp, available for overnight stays. The larger cabin has multiple rooms: an entrance room, two bedrooms, and a dining room. Most single-occupants prefer to sleep on the table in the dining room (see "Red Tape" section for the reason why), and the bedrooms would most likely require sleeping on the floor. The smaller cabin, just up the hill and behind the larger cabin, has a single room containing two single beds and one bunk bed. Cabin sleeping spots are on a "first come, first served" basis, with no reservations. Campsites are found in many places around Tungsten Mine Camp, outside of the cabins.

Red Tape

A backcountry permit (free) must be filled-out at any of the major trailheads prior to entering the area.

However, Teapot Dome lies within a "Fee Use" zone. As of 2009, the fee has been $5 per day, and total amount must be submitted at the trailhead prior to beginning the hike.

Tungsten Mine Camp: There are two cabins available at Tungsten Mine Camp. Please note that field mice are notoriously present in either cabin, even if apparent entrances and openings are closed. It is recommended to try to store food by hanging from various nails in the ceilings and posts within the cabins, or use the "caged" storage box on the outside of the upper cabin. Remember, mice are not afraid to gnaw through gear that has the scent of food. Store gear off floors, as a precaution.