Terrarossa or Wasenhorn

Terrarossa or Wasenhorn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.23305°N / 8.10791°E
Additional Information County: Switzerland
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10649 ft / 3246 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pizzo Terrarossa or Wasenhorn is a nice panoramic point over Brig and the High Wallis. From the top it offers a comprensive and large view of the Monte Leone Group and the others peack of Lepontine Alps, the Weissmiess group, the Pennin-Vallisian 4000 meters peacks as well of the Berneise Alps.

From Brig as well as from Simplon Pass it looks like a steped and slim pyramid of reddish colour.

Pizzo Terrarossa-Wasenhorn is a 3245.8 meters pyramid formed by red scists: the rock is of a very poor quality and it does not offer you any really interesting climbing: only the west ridge (II, discontinous) and maybe the north side (II/III sometimes, discontinous: mainly scrambling between stones).
The Normal way from Simplon-pass via Cabane Monte Leone is a long walk, but be carefull in the last steped, exposed and slipeery 400 meters up to the top.

Getting There

From Switzerland: from Brig drive in direction to Simplon Pass. Park your car at the Simplon Hospice
From Italy (Milano): keep the A8 highway direction Varese/Gravellona Toce/Sempione, then at Gallarate follow for A26 Gravellona Toce/Genova.
At Castelletto Ticino follow the right deviation of the Highway toward Gravellona Toce. Streight ahead following direction Sempione (the highway ends up in the National Route SS33 "del Sempione": after Onravasso speed limit 90 km/h).
Cross the border Italy-Switzerland in Trasquera-Gondo then drive to the Simplon Pass. Park the car at the Hospice

Normal way up form Simplon Pass
Just at the right side of the Simplone Hospice follow a way up (white/red/white signal) in the direction of Cabane Monte Leone. You will walk on a confortable and large street for a while then once arrived at a high-voltage tower the path became smaller but easy. Follw it under the basement of Hubshorn and then along the moreein of the Caltvasserglathscher.
Then after a quite long section not steeped ( give a look to the wonderfull small artificial river along the path!) and crossing two river (two small woody bridge) the way begings to go up towards an evident pass between the glacer and the mountain on the left side.
You will arrive to the Aurona pass (nice view on the Caltwasserglatscher, the Monte Leone, the small lake, and then the cabane Monte Leone).
Go ahead to the Cabane Monte Leone (2848m, very confortable). Then follw the way uo in direction of Terrarossa-Wasenhorn on your left side (impossible to do not recongise it!).
The last 450 meters of way up is a steped and exposed path between rocks (be carefull and do not underextimate the difficulties), then you reach the summit with the signal (look carefully for the summit book)

Red Tape

In the summer.
Possible with snow: easy till the Cabane Monte Loene, then very steped. Avalanges

It is a panoramic hicking: not complicate but be carefull.

Swisstopo or CNS 1:50000 Visp, n.264

Accomodation

At Simplon Pass therer is the famouse and confortable Hospice.
Just 100m up to the Aurona Pass you can find the lodge Cabane Monte Leone or Monte Leone Hutte.
Very nice and confortable