The Lakes L.O. via Lees Pk Saddle

The Lakes L.O. via Lees Pk Saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.94170°N / 118.2298°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the main page under “Getting There” to reach the Anthony Lake day use parking lot.

Route Description


From the parking lot head east along the south side of the lake on the Anthony Shoreline Trail, 1605. After less than a ¼ mile turn right on the Hoffer Lakes Trail, 1641. Climb this low to moderate grade trail for approximately ½ mile to the lakes. The next step from here is to reach the upper basin at the north foot of the Lees/Angel block. There are different routes to do this. One goes around the east side of upper Hoffer Lake and continues up the lake’s inlet to the small meadow at the foot of the peaks. Some granite around the lake must be negotiated. Another way is to go around the meadow to the right (west) of the lower Hoffer Lake, then cut east across the south end of the meadow to the granite hill that rises south of the lakes. Be prepared to get some wet feet. There is no particular way over the granite mound. Some variable scrambling gets one near the top where the slope is gentle. Continue south to reach the small meadow at the foot of the peaks.

From the small pond in the meadow ascend on the talus to the saddle between The Lakes Lookout and Lees Peak. Stay on the edge to avoid the loose soil and gravel. Near the top, the ground becomes powdery decomposed granitic soil that is hammered by mountain goats. The wall to the right (west) of the saddle is near vertical and a difficult climb for a scrambler. But just before the top of the saddle a good path formed of steep granite block stairs ascends to the top of the cliffs.

Continue up the slope to the summit. There are very large boulders and small blocky cliffs to pass, but nothing that is not easy to negotiate. Near the top keep right (north) of the summit rock and continue around to the west side for some simple boulder hopping to the high point.

From the saddle between Lees Peak and The Lakes Lookout it appears possible to head east for a climb of Lees Peak. The rock is very steep and fractured in vertical blocks making this a difficult route that needs explored before it is posted here.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.