Trail 02421

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Taylor via Trail 02421 which climbs the north side.

Getting There

Exit off of I-40 at Grants, NM and take Highway 547 northeast out of town. You will enter the Cibola National Forest and the highway will turn into a dirt road. After 5 or so miles you will see a turn on the right for Forest Service Road 453. Take Forest Service Road 453 and follow it for approximately 3 miles until you come to the trail head with a picnic shelter and a vault toilet.

Route Description

Trail 02421 starts immediately to the right of the vault toilet at the trailhead. The first 2 miles are on a solid uphill with a steep section right before the trail intersects Forest Service Road 453E. Follow Forest Service Road 453 to the east to continue on a decline for approximately 0.5 miles where it intersects the Gooseberry Trail. If you continued on FR 453E you can hike over to the Mosca Overlook. To summit Mount Taylor take the Gooseberry Trail in a southwest direction. 0.5 miles up the trail will again intersect FR 453E but continue on the climb through the switchbacks for another 0.5 miles to reach the summit of Mount Taylor.

Essential Gear

No special equipment required. In the winter snowshoes will be helpful.

External Links

My blog with our trip report



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.