Train Tracks Crags

Train Tracks Crags

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.62670°N / 122.407°W
Additional Information Route Type: Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Difficulty: V0-8, 5.3-5.11d
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Train Tracks Crags are a collection of boulder and top-roping problems that run from the Boat Launch Wall to Clayton Beach. The 2 miles long area offers fun and varied climbing for all ability levels. Only the most used areas will be mentioned here, but other climbs in the vicinity are worthwhile and enjoyable. This is an area to explore and find your own unique problems to solve.

Most walls are between 30-50 feet tall, and boulder problems are usually under 15 feet. The walls are lined at the top with trees that make quick, bomber top-rope anchors. Bring some long webbing for anchors as trees are often ten or more feet back from the lip of the climb.

There are no bolted climbs in this area and, beware, Chuckanut Sandstone does not take gear well

Never top-rope directly around a tree, it will probably kill it and it's bad for your rope. Use good discretion with treatmend of trees and natural features

Getting There

Follow directions to the Boat Launch Wall, walk South on the train tracks.

Numerous pull offs on Chuckanut drive offer easy access to the top of climbs, I'll let you figure out how to do this so you don't steal my parking spot :)


The Gray Wall

The gray wall is the most popular crag in the area. It stands 35' above the train tracks. The name is derived from the grayish color of this rock versus the surrounding outcroppings.

Top-rope from the tree at the top (notice the aggregious top-roping scars at the base of the tree). Your rope will appreciate anchoring about head height on the tree above a branch, you can climb all Gray Wall routes from this anchor.

Routes range from 5.4 - 5.9, most involving fun laybacks and friction moves on good rock. Routes are easier on the left side and become increasingly more difficult as you move to the right. This is a great place to take people for their first outdoor rock climbing.

The gray wall also offers excellent boulder problems, including interesting traverses, undercling problems, and dynos.

The gray wall is about .5 miles South of the Boat Launch Wall.
Gray wall


The Dihedral

About 150 yards South of the Gray Wall stands The Dihedral. It is easily identified by a uniform hand crack in a dihedral below a small tree. Notice the railroad sign nearby.

The Dihedral is about 50' tall. Routes range from 5.8-5.10. Leading the dihedral is commiting, depending on how your choose to protect it, it is R, X, or both. Most people lieback the crack instead of jamming it (5.8 layback, 5.10 jam). The top section is a tricky series of side friction maneuvers that make for a great overall climb.

The crack is often seeping.

Bring long top anchors to clear the lip (the tree is about 10' back).

Dihedral


Video

Vids



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.