Valencia Peak - Morro Bay

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 24, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Valencia Peak - Morro Bay Hiking Mecca

The Morro Bay/Los Osos/SLO is a great area for hiking.  Valencia Peak is a easy 4 mile (roundtrip) hike from with Montana de Oro State Park.  On this day my great friend Mel Wild and I started out early on a Saturday morning from the parking area near the trailhead in some typical morning fog.  Before too long the fog started to move out and we started to hit the switchbacks leading to the top of Valencia Peak which is at 1347 feet elevation.  Once on top the fog had cleared and we had a nice view of the coastline below us and looking east at the amazing number of trails cut into the mountains surrounding us.  This central coast region of California is spectacular, and the surprising number of peaks (7 Sisters) and trails make this a great destination for surfing, hiking, horseback riding, camping, and recreation in general.  After spending 15 minutes at the top we headed down and passed several other hikers' on their way to the top, including a very fit woman who had been running these inter-connected trails for 4 hours.  She looked ready for the Ironman Triathalon.  This hike took about 2 hours and we were in no hurry and stopped several times to look at the intersecting trails along the way.   Be warned....Poison Oak is everywhere, and rattlesnakes are very common although we didn't see any.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Valencia PeakTrip Reports