Vorderer Brunnenkopf

Vorderer Brunnenkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.05935°N / 10.55737°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8809 ft / 2685 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vorderer Brunnenkopf
Stone towers on Vorderer Brunnenkopf

Vorderer Brunnenkopf
is a mountain located high above the famous villages of Fiss and Serfaus. The mountain is a true hikers destination in summer and a ski-touring destination in winter. There are several well-marked trails up to its summit coming  from West (Serfaus) and East (Fiss). The mountain is separated from its higher neighbor Planskopf by the Plansjoch saddle. To the east Vorderer Brunnenkof is bordered by Hinterer Sattelkopf (2670m).

Vorderer Brunnenkopf measures 2683 meters above sea level and is part of the long ridge connecting Zwolferkopf (2596m) in the NE with Planskopf(2805m) in the SW. In-between are Oberer- & Hinterer Sattelkopf (2670m) and Vorderer Brunnenkopf (2685m). The full ridge of mountains can be seen very well, especially from Serfaus (1427m). A famous hiking route in this part of the Samnaun group leads over the entire ridge of these mountains starting at Oberer Sattelkopf and ending at the highest peak of the ridge: Planskopf at 2805 meters. This hiking trail is not too difficult and very popular: T3+.  Vorderer Brunnenkopf can be climbed best during the summer months plus in spring and fall, when there is no snow present on the mountain.

Brunnenkopf ridge in Winter
Brunnenkopf in Winter

Oberer Sattelkop (2596m) from Serfaus
Brunnenkopf in Summer

Vorderer Brunnenkopf is located in the (far) eastern part of the Samnaun Group. The only peaks more to the east are Oberer- & Hinterer Sattelkopf and Zwolferkopf. (2596m) The altitude of the ridge decreases further to the East-NE down to the village of Fliess, which marks the ending of the Samnaun Group mountains. Because of this position on the edge of the Samaun Group one can enjoy the perfect summit view, especially towards the north and east. Towards the north rises the Venet region with Glanderspitze, towards the east the Kaunergrat, towards the southeast the Glockturmkamm and towards the west the Samnaun Group.

Sheep, Komperdell and Serfaus
Sheep, Komperdell and Serfaus from the ridge


Summit Panorama

Enlarge
 
Brunnenkopf Panorama as seen from nearby Hinterer Sattelkopf (2670m)

Route Overview

Vorderer Brunnenkopf MAP
Vorderer Brunnenkopf MAP
There are several good options for climbing Vorderer Brunnenkopf. All routes are fairly easy mountain hikes with gradations of T3+ or less. Choosing a route really depends on the effort one would like to make for reaching this summit. I will describe the main route in further detail in the section below.

Route: Fiss - Ridge- Serfaus

Brunnenkopf and Sattelkopf
Vorderer Brunnenkopf and the  Sattelkopfe
Plansjoch
Secured part & Plansjoch
The  most popular route for climbing Vorderer Brunnenkopf is by starting at the Fisser Joch. The route starts at the top station of the Schonjochbahn which is also called Berg diamant (Mountain Diamond).  So take the Schonjochbahn up from Fiss. When you exit the cablecar you will find yourself already at 2436 meters of altitude. You can spot the big yellow signposts at once. Go there and take a left in the direction of the Oberer Sattelkopf –Gratweg and Planskopf. The trail is named ‘’Trail 23’’. Follow the trail in a W-SW direction. Soon you will pass underneath Zwolferkopf (2596m) and the large summit cross of Oberer Sattelkopf comes into sight. Keep following the trail which goes onto the Grat (the ridge) after you have passed Zwolferkopf.  On the ridge the route steepens a bit and goes up in a straight line to the summit cross. In about 50 minutes to an hour you will find yourself on the summit of Oberer Sattelkopf. From here follow the trail towards the SW. After a short descent the trail starts to gain elevation again. After some 30 minutes you will reach the summit of Hinterer Sattelkopf (2670m). Keep heading to the SW and once again after a short descent from the summit the route gains elevation again, you are now ascending Vorderer Brunnenkopf. In about 15 to 20 minutes you will arrive on the summit.

From the summit follow the marked trail towards the SW. You are now descending Brunnenkopf along the SW-flank. At this point the trail is secured by steel cables for a short section. This part of the trail is the hardest and graded T3 to T3+ at max. After descending this short section you will arrive on the Plansjoch, the saddlepoint connecting the mountain to Planskopf (2805m). At the junction on the Joch, follow the trail back down towards Komperdell/Serfaus. The trail goes down along the SE-flank of the mountain. You can already spot the cableway system beneath you. Follow the well-marked trail down and after 1 to 1,5 hours you will reach the Komperdell middle station. From here it is possible to take the cableway back down to Serfaus of hike further down to Serfaus (an additional 1,5 to 2 hours, T2). Of course it is also possible to hike this route the other way around and start from Serfaus instead of Fiss.

How to get there

How to get There: Hexenkopf
How to get There Map
Fiss (& Serfaus and Ladis) are located in the heart of Tirol and can be reached most easily by car.  The official website of Serfaus-Fiss and Ladis includes a route-planner. Fill in your home address for your route information. The route planner can be found here. This link also provides information about Train & Bus schedules as well as Taxi services.


When to climb

On trail to Brunnenkopf
On trail to Brunnenkopf
Vorderer Brunnenkopf can be climbed best during the summer months and in Fall (June / October) when there is no snow present on the mountain. Ski-touring is also possible in wintertime.

Maps & Books

Kummerleyand Frey –  Ischgl & Serfaus - 1:35.000 - ISBN 9783259007136

Kompass 42- Landeck Nauders Samnaun Group – 1:50.000ISBN 9783850265423

Kompass 42 Samnaun Group

Kummerley + Frey MAp Ischgl Serfaus


External Links

Approaching the summit
Approaching the summit
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis cableway system: Operating Times and Prices

Webcam Fiss & Brunnenkopf

Bergfex  Weather Fiss and Serfaus

Accomodation  in Fiss & Serfaus

Weather




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Samnaun GroupMountains & Rocks