Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 15, 2007
Seasons Season: Summer

Wellsville Traverse

12 miles...14 really only was suppose to be 12
Starting time 5:50 am
Ending 12:20 pm
Included two large breaks.
While only moderately tall, they are particularly narrow. For this reason, it is often claimed they are one of the steepest mountain ranges in North America. Box Elder (9,372') and the Wellsville Cone (9,356') are its two highest peaks.My trail started from Sardine canyon and headed up rattlesnake canyon trail. I didn't see any rattlesnakes but I did see a caterpillar that decided to ride with me for some of the journey. Some deer, a lot of birds and that was about it. This was a solo trip thats why I think I was so slow, no one to pace myself with. The trail was a ton of bushwhacking it was so bad at parts you couldn't see your feet. I recommend bug spray for sure. It was a nice hike though if you get over the parts about loosing the trail and bushwhacking it was pretty. I hit the summit of box elder at 9 am and headed across the ridge I hit the saddle and the cut off down Deep Canyon at 11:15 am it was 3 miles to the road from there. I hit the trailhead at 12:20, I was kinda sad I thought it would last longer. I headed down the road because I didn't know where the hell I was. I walked about 2 miles until my friend found the road where i was, no help to me. I would recommend this hike. Deep canyon is nice to hike there were 2 families that passed me coming from that direction. The rattlesnake canyon way is a decent hike to there is just tougher bush and you loose the trail, this one is faster and also steeper. So I guess It just depends of where your going. Long pants and close toed shoes highly recommended. I wish anyone luck if they try this. I had a great time.

Recommened Gear

Day pack, bug spray, lots of water no river crossings and it gets very hot.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Box Elder PeakTrip Reports