West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.00726°N / 106.87634°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log


Getting There

Reaching the base of the Castleabra's West Face is done through Conundrum Hot Springs. From the hot springs, this climb is not that long (Grade II), but if starting at the Conundrum Creek Trailhead, 17 miles must be added, making for a much longer day (Grade III).

Route Description

The majority of the ascent on the West Face is done on a rather unpleasant scree slope. Even on the scree slope, there are stretches that require finding appropriate handholds so as to not slide down any precious elevation gain.

The scree slope ascends to a saddle with some nasty looking towers that must be negotiated, and then a short climb up the south ridge to reach the summit.

If you descend this route, and are planning (or can afford) to spend the night at Conundrum Hot Springs, you can relax in the recuperative waters of the hot springs.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.