West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.13012°N / 115.05033°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log




Overview

Regan, Alpine and McGown

This exciting and challenging route follows a scenic and rugged ridgeline that leads to the summit of one of the more under-climbed peaks in the area. The preferred route is from the S Fork Baron Creek drainage, but the ridge can also be obtained from the N Fork Baron Creek.

From the headwaters of Moolack Creek, ascend to the obvious notch between Point 8843 and Point 9639. At this low point on the ridge, there are tremendous views of the North Fork of Baron Creek Valley. From the low point, follow the ridge staying generally south of ridge proper to avoid the most difficult towers. There are several gaps south of the ridge that are critical to getting through without needing ropes. One of those gaps is just south of Point 9639. After this gap, it may seem like your close to the summit block, but you're still quite a distance at this point. Follow the upper sections of the south slopes to the summit block. Follow the finish of the South Slopes Route to obtain the summit.

From Grandjean Trailhead: 7.7 miles and 5830 feet gain (one way)

Moolack Mountain-West Ridge Route


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.