West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.62262°N / 121.96091°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The West Ridge is the standard route up Munra Point. It gains about 1740 feet over 1.5 miles and runs Class 3-4. Most climb and downclimb the rock gully unprotected but I have seen photos of Mazamas in harnesses at the top. The gully could be rapped and there is exposure on many parts of the route. Best to do in dry weather and consider rapping the gully in such circumstances.

The route gives great views up and down the Gorge. Watch your footing as there are quite a few exposed areas, especially the summit.


Getting There

photo by Karl Helser

There are 3 trailheads where you could park. The shortest route would be to park on the shoulder of I-84 (see the Getting There section of the Main Page for directions).

The route from the West is described here. It basically starts from the Elowah Falls Trailhead in the Gorge.

The route from the east is described here and starts at the Wahclella Falls Trailhead.

Click on this link and then click on the diagram on this page to see a decent overview of the routes.

Route Description

If starting from the shoulder of I-84, simply hike back west into the ditch alongside I-84. After a few dozen yards you will pick up a crude trail in the center of the ditch that will shortly head left into the woods after heading around a hill on the left. The trail the climbs up 20-30 feet or so to the Gorge Trail (Trail #400) which runs east-west along the Gorge. Across the Gorge Trail is an unmarked trail heading up. Take it. A few yards into it you will come upon this "Trail Not Maintained sign. Follow the path as it climbs steeply into the woods.

The trail climbs up along the side of a ridge. After about 3 tenths of a mile, you'll come to more open rocky areas and the trail then heads up westerly along the ridgecrest. Some areas are blocky basalt, some are muddy tree roots but the views just keep getting better as you climb. At one point you come to a rock outcropping about 15 feet high which can be climbed or bypassed on the right.

Near the top, the trail will level off before breaking through the trees onto grassy open slopes. A short scramble to the right and you are on a ridge below the main summit pinnacle. The trail heads into a rocky gully which is scrambled up between trees and rocks onto the ridge below the summit. Head up the ridge and diagnonal right and up to the notch in the pinnacle before a few steps to the left put you on the summit. Note the ridge out to the NE can be scrambled on a trail also from the base of the summit pinnacle. Descend the same route. Rap the gully if needed (maybe 20 feet).

Crux rock gully


If you are starting from the Eastern Trailhead at Wahclellah Falls, you simply hike west along Trail 400, the Gorge Trail, which is more an old road for most of it. Watch for the trail to the left near Moffett Creek.

IF you are starting at the Western Trailhead at Elowah Falls, hike east on the Gorge Trail until the same unmarked trail just past Moffett Creek.

Essential Gear

If the weather is wet, you may consider a rope and harness to rap the gully.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.