Forty Foot Hole & The Narrows, Oklahoma

Forty Foot Hole & The Narrows, Oklahoma

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 34.70880°N / 98.6818°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 24, 2020
Activities Activities: Hiking

Preface

Forty Foot Hole is a canyon formed by West Cache Creek in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma. After exiting Forty Foot Hole, the creek flows on a plain for half a mile before entering another canyon known as The Narrows.

I had plans for extensive hiking in the area but it rained in the morning and I was not able to start my hike until 12:30 p.m. when there was less than five hours of day light left. From Lost Lake, I followed a trail over the eastern rim of Forty Foot Hole until I reached the entrance of The Narrows where standing water impeded further hiking. I then left trail and found my own way to near the top of a high point where I had good views of The Narrows to the west. Another canyon formed by Panther Creek could be seen to the east. Leaving the high point, I went down to Panther Creek and then up a nameless drainage to reach my starting point at Lost Lake.

 

 

Hike Statistics

Hiking Distance: 5.2 miles

Total Ascent: 830 ft

Maximum Elevation: 1580 ft

Minimum Elevation: 1390 ft

Trip Report

Tuesday November 24, 2020

 

Forecast called for rain in the morning but possible sunshine in the afternoon. Temperatures were supposed climb from the upper 30s degrees F the previous night into the lower 70s degrees F by the late afternoon.

 

I left the vacation rental house in Medicine Park, Oklahoma around noon when fog had lifted and rain had stopped. Drove around 13 miles to Lost Lake Trailhead. It was in the mid 50s degrees F and everything was wet. I started my hike at 12:35 p.m. No one was there.

 

Got on a trail on the south side of the lake and soon reached the dam.

Lost Lake
Lost Lake
Lost Lake Dam
Lost Lake Dam

After the dam, a canyon began to form. At first, I could easily go down to the bottom of the canyon.

Bottom of canyon
Bottom of canyon

But soon walls began to form.

Canyon beginning to form
Canyon beginning to form

And finally a real canyon known as Forty Foot Hole appeared. The trail followed the eastern rim of the canyon.

Forty Foot Hole
Forty Foot Hole
Forty Foot Hole
Forty Foot Hole
Forty Foot Hole
Forty Foot Hole

 

The deep canyon was no more than a quarter of a mile long. The trail soon went down to follow the creek on a flat plain.

South of Forty Foot Hole
South of Forty Foot Hole

 

Eagle Mountain.

Eagle Mountain
Eagle Mountain

 

I then reached another trailhead known as Boulder Picnic Area.

Hiked the road a short distance and then tried to walk by the creek but the vegetation was cumbersome. I finally found my way to a park-like area called Boulder Cabin. The sun began to come out. I sat on a bench and took off my rain pants since it was becoming warm and humid. I then found another trail that went parallel to the creek at some distance to it.

Hiking along the creek
Hiking along the creek

 

Soon was at the start of The Narrows.

The Narrows
The Narrows

 

I followed a beaten path up a forested slope.

Forested slope
Forested slope

 

The path dead ended into the narrows a little downstream from where I had been earlier.

The Narrows
The Narrows
The Narrows
The Narrows

 

I then left trail and began to go up a slope toward a high point that I had identified on the map to the northeast of The Narrows. Fortunately, no annoying bushwhacking was necessary. The slopes were mostly covered by reddish grass and scattered trees with areas that required some boulder hopping. I was however concerned about coming across rattlesnakes since it had become fairly warm.

Up the slopes of the high point
Up the slopes of the high point

 

Went to an edge to get another view of The Narrows.

The Narrows
The Narrows

 

Continued up the slopes but I had no view of The Narrows.

Near the high point
Near the high point

 

I then decided to veer west to get a view of the canyon of Panther Creek. I actually had to go down in elevation and to the top of a pile of boulders.

Near the high point
Near the high point

 

View of the canyon of Panther Creek.

Canyon of Panther Creek
Canyon of Panther Creek

 

Back uphill.

Near the high point
Near the high point

 

And then to the western edge for another view of The Narrows and Eagle Mountain.

The Narrows
The Narrows
Eagle Mountain & The Narrows
Eagle Mountain & The Narrows

 

I wanted to go down to Panther Creek and then return via a path that did not have a trail. There were only two hours of daylight left and I was concerned that off trail, I might come across impassable growths of bushes like I had on a different hike two days prior to that. In the end, I decided to take my chances. Began to go downhill toward panther Creek. Fortunately saw nothing but grassy slopes with scattered trees.

Down the slopes of the high point
Down the slopes of the high point

 

Panther Creek.

Panther Creek
Panther Creek
Panther Creek
Panther Creek

 

There was not enough time for me to follow Panther Creek into the canyon that I had seen from above. Turned north and went into a wide open drainage toward Lost Lake. Watching the fall colors all alone in the late afternoon sunshine in that beautiful place was a true pleasure.

Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage
Hiking up the drainage

 

Crossed the road and reached my truck at 4:00 p.m. As soon as I put my backpack on the truck’s seat, I saw a tick crawling over the seat. Did not find any others on my body or anywhere else.

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wichita MountainsTrip Reports