Guffey Butte & the Plateau to the East

Guffey Butte & the Plateau to the East

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 43.28580°N / 116.5414°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 27, 2021
Activities Activities: Hiking

Overview

Guffey Butte Elevation: 3130 ft

Snake River Elevation at the base of Guffey Butte: 2260 ft

Prominence: 480 ft

Rank: Guffey Butte is Idaho’s 5769th highest ranked peak

 

 

 

 

Guffey Butte

 

Guffey Butte rises on the southern banks of Snake River 21 miles south of Boise, Idaho. Its summit is 870 ft higher than the level of the river. A 2.2 miles long trail starts in Celebration Park on the northern banks of the river, crosses the river over an abandoned railroad bridge and goes to the summit of Guffey Butte. On its way, the trail takes you by a number of hoodoos. From the summit of Guffey Butte, you will get limited views of the river but the surrounding farmlands, desert plains and the distant Owyhee Mountains will be in good view.

 

Plateau to the east

 

To the east of Guffey Butte, you will find a large flat-top  plateau at an elevation of 2920 ft. The northern and northeastern walls of the plateau rise 660 feet directly above the river providing you with great views of the river. No trail goes to the top of the plateau but it is easy to add it to the hike to Guffey Butte.

 

 

 

Trip Report

Hike Length: 8.2 miles

Total Ascent: 1400 ft

 

Left the vacation rental house to the east of Grand View, Idaho at 6:10 a.m. Had an hour drive to Celebration Park. It had rained over the previous 3 days but was supposed to get sunny. At that hour, it was still cloudy.

 

Started my hike at 7:25 a.m. in Celebration Park. It was 43 degrees F and elevation was 2280 ft. Went by the river and took a picture of the plateau on the south side of the river where I planned to go after Guffey Butte.

 

Plateau to the east of Guffey Butte
Plateau to the east of Guffey Butte

 

Followed a riverside trail a short distance west to reach the old railroad bridge that had been converted into a hiking path.

 

Bridge
Bridge
Bridge
Bridge

 

Guffey Butte seen on the right after crossing the bridge.

 

Guffey Butte on the right
Guffey Butte on the right

 

A steep trail went up to a gently sloped area, then the trail turned west (right) and went up another steep area to reach a number of hoodoos. The big pinnacle was not visible from there.

 

Hoodoos
Hoodoos
Hoodoos
Hoodoos

 

 

Looking back at the bridge.

 

Bridge over Snake River
Bridge over Snake River

 

I then went off the main trail and followed a beaten path to reach the big pinnacle.

 

Big pinnacle
Big pinnacle
Big Pinnacle
Big Pinnacle

 

Went back to the main trail and continued up the trail toward the summit. View of the big pinnacle behind.

 

Hoodoos and big pinnacle
Hoodoos and big pinnacle

 

The top was a large gently sloped mesa. The summit was marked by a big pile of rock, a US flag and even a summit registry. I was there at 8:35 a.m. and 2.26 miles of hiking.  It slowly began to get sunny. Owyhee Mountains came to view to the south and west.

 

Owyhee Mountains from summit
Owyhee Mountains from summit
Wilson Peak & Soldier Cap from summit
Wilson Peak & Soldier Cap from summit

 

 

Snake River to the northwest.

 

Snake River from Summit
Snake River from Summit

 

View to the plateau southeast where I planned to go next.

 

Flat top plateau from summit
Flat top plateau from summit

 

After 10-15 minutes, I left the summit heading east going off trail toward the flat-top plateau. Another view of the big pinnacle and the hoodoos.

 

Hoodoos
Hoodoos

 

 

Had to go down to a very broad 2800 foot saddle and then up again to reach the 2920 ft flat-top plateau. A band of cliffs ran under the surface of the plateau but there were many opening where one could hike up. I was going toward an opening I had seen on Google Earth.

 

Going toward the plateau
Going toward the plateau

 

Down a pretty slope.

 

Down the slopes of Guffey Butte
Down the slopes of Guffey Butte

 

On the other side of the broad saddle, went up a slope to the top of the plateau. Looking west at Guffey Butte.

 

Guffey Butte from the plateau
Guffey Butte from the plateau

 

Guffey Butte, Snake River and the hoodoos area.

 

Guffey Butte, Hoodoos & Snake River
Guffey Butte, Hoodoos & Snake River

 

The bridge.

 

Bridge over Snake River
Bridge over Snake River

 

At the north rim of the plateau, I was directly above Celebration Park where I had parked.

 

Celebration Park
Celebration Park

 

More wonderful river views.

 

Snake River & Owyhee Mountains
Snake River & Owyhee Mountains
Snake River
Snake River
Snake River
Snake River

 

 

I then followed the rim of the plateau southeast toward a relative high point. Unfortunately, construction equipment on the north side of the river made much noise.

 

High point on the rim
High point on the rim

 

I could see some sort of a pinnacle on top of the high point and thought it was a marker or a statue. I zoomed with my camera to see a big raven sitting on top.

 

Zoomed view of raven
Zoomed view of raven

 

The raven finally left as I reached the high point at 10:00 a.m., 4.4 miles and 2970 ft elevation. Sat there to eat drink and enjoy the views while being bothered by construction noise.

 

Halverson Lake & Snake River
Halverson Lake & Snake River

 

I then continued southeast along the rim.

 

High Point & Snake River
High Point & Snake River
Snake River
Snake River
Snake River
Snake River

 

After 5.38 miles of hiking, I reached where the rim of the plateau turned south while the river turned northeast. Sat there a little again to enjoy. Construction noise was no longer audible.

 

Snake River
Snake River

 

Left the rim at 10:55 a.m. heading west over the grassy flat surface of the plateau toward an opening I had seen and marked in my GPS in the cliffs under the west rim of the plateau. Owyhee Mountains were well visible. They had a fresh coat of snow over them

 

Owyhee Mountains from the plateau
Owyhee Mountains from the plateau
Owyhee Mountains from the plateau
Owyhee Mountains from the plateau
Guffey Butte & Owyhee Mountains
Guffey Butte & Owyhee Mountains

 

The ever present tumbleweed.

 

Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed

 

At 11:22 a.m. and 6.55 miles of hiking, I was at the western rim of the plateau. Went down the opening in the cliffs to the bottom of a drainage and then followed it north downhill until I reached the trail. I then followed the trail down to the bridge running into a family with a number of children near the bridge.

View west from the bridge.

 

Looking west from the bridge
Looking west from the bridge

 

East at the plateau where I had been.

 

Looking east from the bridge
Looking east from the bridge

 

Crossed to the north side of the river. View of the bridge plus Guffey Butte and the hoodoos.

 

Guffey Butte, Snake River & Bridge
Guffey Butte, Snake River & Bridge

 

From Celebration Park where I reached my Jeep at 12:05 p.m.

 

Plateau from Celebration Park
Plateau from Celebration Park

 

Had a one hour drive back home, took a shower, ate and spent more than an hour doing office work, then sat on the porch enjoying views of Snake River. The island in the river seemed to be a choice habitat for birds. Took many pictures.

 

Bird Watching, Snake River
Bird Watching, Snake River

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Owyhee CanyonlandsTrip Reports
 
Guffey Butte (ID)Trip Reports