Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.58522°N / 107.4947°W
Additional Information County: Wyoming
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9935 ft / 3028 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Antelope Butte is most famous for its namesake ski area.  The resort has recently been revitalized and is once again operational.  The ski area sits on the northern forested flank of the mountain.  The actual summit sits a little over two miles southeast.   The mountain itself is easily visible from Highway 14.  It serves as a great area from year-round recreation.  There are abundant hiking, biking, xc ski and four-wheel drive/atv trails in the area.  The resort hosts a summer festival with music and trial races each summer.

Getting There

From Highway 14 turn east on Forrest Road 277.  Zero your odometer here and continue on FSR 277 passing a gravel pit and several small spur roads.  The road fords a small creek and then becomes rougher.  A high clearance vehicle is recommended.  After 4.4 miles (from the highway) park alongside the road.   The summit will be clearly visible to the west.

P1020305
P1020305

Route

 There is no real defined route to the summit.  From the parking spot a small trail ascends generally west toward the summit.  When the trail sputters out followed the small openings between the sagebrush to the top.  The actual summit on the southern end of the mountain.  The summit is made up of a cluster of dolomite blocks.  You must scramble up these blocks to reach the actual summit. Elevation gain from parking alongside FSR 277 was approximately 775.   Great views in all directions.

P1020306
P1020306

Antelope Butte from the roadside parking spot on 277.

 

P1020307
P1020307

Summit blocks of Antelope Butte.

 

P1020308
P1020308

Golden Eagle perched near the summit of Antelope Butte.

Red Tape

No permits are required to camp or acccess in the area..

When to Climb

The access road is only passable May/June until October.  Winter ascents are possible by ski or snowmobile with a longer approach.

Camping

Primitive dispersed camping is widely available.   Shell Creek, Owen Creek & Tie Flume campgrounds are very nice facilities and are in close proximity to the area.  

External Links

https://www.antelopebuttefoundation.org/the-mountain