Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.77220°N / 107.7791°W
Additional Information County: Big Horn & Sheridan
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9907 ft / 3020 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Little Bald MountainLittle Bald Mountain

In the northern part of the Big Horn Range of Wyoming, the mountains are gentle and the summits are broad, which makes it a paradise for hikers who are interested in a great view obtained through a minimum of effort. The wildflowers here are indeed spectacular, and there is great deal of beauty to be found in the small streams and stands of pines that dot the countryside.

Little Bald Mountain is the 5th-highest peak in the area, behind Hunt, Bald, and Medicine Mountains; Peak 9953 comes in fourth. After parking just off of the Medicine Wheel Scenic Byway, the round trip hike up to the summit and back can be easily done in an hour, making it an ideal peak for someone who has limited time or is just driving through.

Getting There

Flower fieldFlower field
Boundary markerBoundary marker

From Lovell, Wyoming, take U.S. Highway 14A heading east for about 28 miles and turn left on Forest Road 15. To approach from Sheridan, Wyoming, follow Highway 14 to Burgess Junction, turn right on Highway 14A, and travel for 16 miles. Park where the abandoned two-track road heads off to the right up the slopes of Little Bald Mountain.

Start walking up from up from here; the slope is pretty gentle for most of the way. There is a hunting boundary marker at the summit, which is a large grassy area near the point where the south ridge meets the east ridge. The peak across the highway to the south is Hunt Mountain, and Bald Mountain is the large peak to the west.

The one-way hike to the top of Little Bald Mountain via this route is one mile with 650 feet of elevation gain. This peak can be hiked from any direction, but the other sides are slightly steeper.
Approaching the summitNear the summit

Hunt MountainHunt Mountain

Red Tape

Access to this area is very easy except during the winter and early spring, when Highway 14A is closed. This area has an abundance of wildlife, so be especially aware of moose, elk, black bears, and mountain lions when hiking in this area. There are no grizzlies in the Big Horns.
Lupine on Little Bald MountainLupine on Little Bald Mountain

Camping

Places to camp in the Big Horns are numerous, with the majority of the range being open to dispersed camping. Camping is not allowed within 100 feet of lakes or streams, or within 1/4 mile of major roads. For complete rules and regulations, visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/bighorn/recreation/camping/

Bald Mountain Campground is located just off the highway on Road 130, which turns south off of 14A, and has fifteen camping spots and typical campground facilities.