Buena Vista Peak, Barfoot Lookout

Buena Vista Peak, Barfoot Lookout

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.91651°N / 109.27375°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8820 ft / 2688 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Buena Vista Peak is a rocky high point in the Chiricahua Mountains of southeastern Arizona. It has a prominence of only 200 ft and is therefore not a ranked peak. On its summit, however, you will find a man-made concrete platform that can provide you with some of the best views in the Chiricahua Mountains, hence the name Barfoot Lookout. The structure that was on the summit was destroyed by a fire in 2011 but the platform remains.

 

The easiest way to climb Buena Vista Peak is to drive 15 miles on a dirt road to Barfoot Park Campground at an elevation of 8230 ft and then follow a one-mile trail to the summit. To make the hike longer and more scenic, I started at Ida Peak Trailhead on Pinery Canyon Road (5975 ft) and went to the 8140 ft Ida Saddle, down to 7900 ft on the south side of the saddle, up again to Barfoot Park Campground and then the summit of Buena Vista Peak.

 

Just before Ida Saddle, the trail traverses a forested slope 450 vertical feet below the summit of the 8501 ft Ida Peak. What I could see from the summit of Ida Peak through the trees, appeared to be guarded by cliffs so I decided not to climb it.

 

When I did my hike in November 2023, between the elevations of 6900 to 7300 ft, Ida Trail was overgrown requiring bushwhacking sometimes through thorny bushes. The rest of the path appeared well-established.

 

</p

 

Getting There

Directions to Ida Peak Trailhead:

 

From the town of Wilcox, Arizona (86 miles east of Tucson on I-10), drive 31 miles east and south on Route 186 to the intersection with Route 181. Turn east onto 181 going toward Chiricahua National Monument. After 3 miles, just before entering the monument, turn south onto Pinery Canyon Road (Forest Road 42) which soon turns into a dirt road. When I visited the area, the road was graded and seemed to be suitable for average street cars. Drive 7.4 miles on Forest Road 42 to reach the signed Ida Peak Trailhead where there is no place to park a vehicle. I parked 0.15 miles before the trailhead at the junction of Forest Roads 42 and 42 C (the road to Downings Pass).

 

Route from Ida Trailhead/Trip Report

Hike Length: 10.66 miles

Total Ascent: 3508 ft

Starting Point Elevation: 5975 ft

Buena Vista Peak Elevation: 8820 ft

 

Started my hike at 7:00 AM at the junction of Forest Road 42 and 42 C (see Getting There) elevation 5975 ft. It was 28 degrees F but there was no wind so it felt much better than it would have with wind. I did not see any other people all day long. Hiked 0.15 miles on the road and got on Ida Peak Trail which began to go up steeply on a slope that was covered with a dense growth of shrubs and trees. Looking west at Point 6709 ft.

 

Point 6709 ft
Point 6709 ft

 

Point 6709 ft
Point 6709 ft

 

Shaw Peak to the northeast (I had climbed it 3 days earlier).

 

Shaw Peak
Shaw Peak

 

Looking up the slopes at the dense growth.

 

Looking up the slopes
Looking up the slopes

 

Point 6988 ft and the distant Dos Cabezas Mountains.

 

Point 6985 ft and Dos Cabezas Mountains
Point 6985 ft and Dos Cabezas Mountains

 

After only 1.15 miles, I had reached an elevation of 6950 ft. The trail made a sharp turn to the left and became overgrown. I had to whack my way through the bushes, a few of which were thorny. I was hoping that situation would not last very long.

 

Looking southwest
Looking southwest
Shaw Peak and Tip of Cochise Head
Shaw Peak and Tip of Cochise Head

 

Pinery Canyon
Pinery Canyon

 

The tip of Cochise Head.

 

Cochise Head
Cochise Head

 

A sharp horn appeared. I later identified it as Maverick Peak.

 

Cochise Head, Maverick Peak and Shaw Peak
Cochise Head, Maverick Peak and Shaw Peak

 

At around 7300 ft elevation, the shrubs went away, and the trail became much more defined again.

 

Looking toward Dos Cabezas Mountains
Looking toward Dos Cabezas Mountains
Looking toward Dos Cabezas Mountains
Looking toward Dos Cabezas Mountains
Ida Peak
Ida Peak
On Ida Peak Trail
On Ida Peak Trail

 

Views of South Timber Mountain (which I climbed the previous day), Shaw Peak, Maverick Peak and Cochise Head.

 

Shaw Peak, Maverick Peak and Cochise Head
Shaw Peak, Maverick Peak and Cochise Head

 

South Timber Mountain, Cochise Head, Maverick Peak and Shaw Peak
South Timber Mountain, Cochise Head, Maverick Peak and Shaw Peak

 

 

 

I then entered a pine forest.

 

Near Ida Saddle
Near Ida Saddle
Near Ida Saddle
Near Ida Saddle

 

At 9:20 AM, 2.90 miles and 8040 ft elevation, the trail made a sharp turn to the left. My map had shown a beaten path that started there and went to Ida Peak. I did not see any evidence of a path but left the trail and began to go up the steep slopes toward the cliffs of Ida Peak.

 

Ida Peak
Ida Peak

 

The cliffs did not appear very inviting. I thought why should I get myself involved with those cliffs while I can follow the trail to the higher Buena Vista Peak? At 8140 ft, I gave up and went back to the trail.

 

Ida Peak
Ida Peak

 

Followed the trail toward Ida Pass. A better view of Ida Peak.

 

Ida Peak
Ida Peak

 

At 9:48 AM, 3.19 miles and 8140 ft, I reached Ida Saddle. Looking north at Cochise Head.

 

View north from Ida Saddle
View north from Ida Saddle

 

On the south side of the saddle, the trail began to go downhill. View toward the 9140 ft flattop area.

 

Looking south from the south side of Ida Saddle
Looking south from the south side of Ida Saddle

 

Looking back at the southeastern face of Ida Peak.

 

Southeastern face of Ida Peak
Southeastern face of Ida Peak

 

The trail went down to 7900 ft where it entered a beautiful pine forest and began to go uphill again.

 

Forest near Barfoot Park
Forest near Barfoot Park

 

At 10:20 AM, 4.25 miles and 8140 ft, I reached a dirt road. I had reached the Barfoot Park Campground. I expected to see people there but despite the perfect weather, I was happy to find no one. Rested there a short time, then followed the dirt road 0.3 miles until I reached the trail to Buena Vista Peak. The trail got into an area where the forest had been devastated and small trees had begun to grow. Buena Vista Peak came to view.

 

Buena Vista Peak
Buena Vista Peak

 

The 8803 ft Barfoot Peak (different from Barfoot Lookout which is the same thing as Buena Vista Peak).

 

Barfoot Peak
Barfoot Peak

 

More views of the Bunea Vista Peak.

 

West face of Buena Vista Peak
West face of Buena Vista Peak
Buena Vista Peak
Buena Vista Peak

 

Buena Vista Peak
Buena Vista Peak

 

 

At 8640 ft, I reached a saddle to the south of Buena Vista Peak. Great views of Silver and Portal Peaks to the east.

 

Silver and Portal Peaks
Silver and Portal Peaks

 

My map had shown the trail going directly up the south ridgeline of Buena Vista Peak. Continued the trail and soon realized that it was going a different path than what I had put in my GPS. Went back to the saddle but found no other path. The trail took me to the summit via a slightly different path than what was in my GPS. Reached the summit at 11:08 AM, 5.46 miles and 8820 ft elevation. Was again happy to see no one there.

 

Looking west. Barfoot Peak and Ida Peak on the right. Barfoot Park seen.

 

Barfoot Peak, Ida Peak and Barfoot Park
Barfoot Peak, Ida Peak and Barfoot Park

 

Cochise Head to the north/northwest.

 

Cochise Head
Cochise Head

 

Looking northeast.

 

Looking northeast
Looking northeast

 

Zoomed views to the east and southeast. Silver and Portal Peaks seen.

 

Zoomed view of Silver and Portal Peaks
Zoomed view of Silver and Portal Peaks

 

Looking southeast
Looking southeast

 

 

Looking south toward Flys Peak.

 

Looking south
Looking south

 

Looking south southwest
Looking south southwest

 

 

Left at 11:36 AM and began to go back the way I had come. More views of Buena Vista and Barfoot Peaks.

 

Barfoot Peak
Barfoot Peak
Barfoot Peak
Barfoot Peak

 

Buena Vista Peak
Buena Vista Peak

 

Back in the beautiful pine forest.

 

Forest near Barfoot Park
Forest near Barfoot Park

 

Start of the uphill toward Ida Saddle.

 

Ida Peak and Ida Saddle
Ida Peak and Ida Saddle

 

Pretty autumn gold on the south side of Ida Saddle.

 

South side of Ida Saddle
South side of Ida Saddle
South side of Ida Saddle
South side of Ida Saddle
South side of Ida Saddle
South side of Ida Saddle

 

Looking toward flattop Point 9140 ft
Looking toward flattop Point 9140 ft

 

At 12:43 PM, 7.57 miles and 8140 ft, I was at Ida Saddle again. Rested a little and then followed the trail back down. Views north and northwest from the trail.

 

Shaw and Maverick Peaks
Shaw and Maverick Peaks
The very distant Mt. Graham
The very distant Mt. Graham
Cochise Head
Cochise Head
Dos Cabezas Mountains
Dos Cabezas Mountains

 

South Timber, Cochise Head, Maverick and Shaw
South Timber, Cochise Head, Maverick and Shaw

At 7300 ft, was back to the faint trail/bushwhack area again.

 

The tip of Cochise Head
The tip of Cochise Head

 

Shaw Peak
Shaw Peak

Was happy to be below 6900 ft where the trail became well-established again.

 

Point 6709 ft
Point 6709 ft

 

Reached my rental Jeep at 2:50 PM and 10.66 miles.

 

Red Tape

No fees or permits. 

When to Climb

Spring and Fall are the best times to climb. Summer can get very hot and is the rainy season. Winter can potentially get very cold. 

 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chiricahua MountainsMountains & Rocks