Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.96419°N / 109.27843°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7800 ft / 2377 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rank: Shaw Peak is Arizona’s 345th highest ranked peak

Prominence: 720 ft

Note about true summit: The USGS Map puts the name Shaw Peak next to a 7728 ft point 980 aerial feet to the north of the true summit of Shaw Peak. It does not provide an exact elevation for Shaw Peak and only shows contour lines of 7760 to 7800 ft. Point 7728 ft has a prominence of only 68 ft and is therefore not a ranked Peak.

 

Shaw Peak rises on the spine of southeastern Arizona’s Chiricahua Mountains to the west of Pinery Canyon. Shaw Peak Trail (Trail 251) traverses the eastern slopes of Shaw Peak at an elevation of 7440 ft. This trail can be accessed from various points including Hands Pass to the north, Pinery-Horsefall Trailhead to the west and Onion Saddle to the south.

 

I climbed Shaw Peak from Pinery Canyon. From the road to the 7060 ft Jhus Horse saddle, the trail was well established. From the saddle to the base of the peak, overgrown and the trail hard to find. The final off trail walk to the summit was steep but otherwise easy on grassy slopes.

 

Shaw Peak
Shaw Peak

 

Getting There

Directions to Pinery-Horsefall Trailhead.

 

From the town of Wilcox, Arizona (86 miles east of Tucson on I-10), drive 31 miles east and south on Route 186 to the intersection with Route 181. Turn east onto 181 going toward Chiricahua National Monument. After 3 miles, just before entering the monument, turn south onto Pinery Canyon Road (Forest Road 42) which soon turns into a dirt road. When I visited the area, the road was graded and seemed to be suitable for average street cars. Drive 7.2 miles to the signed trailhead. I parked in a flat area just across from the trailhead.

 

Route/Trip Report

Roundtrip Hiking Distance: 7.63 miles

Total Ascent: 2200 ft

Trailhead Elevation: 5960 ft

Summit Elevation: 7800 ft

 

 

October 30, 2023

 

My plan for the day was to climb South Timber Mountain. Left the vacation rental house on Sunglow Ranch, Arizona at 6 AM and drove to Chiricahua National Monument. It was very windy.  While driving on Bonita Canyon Road, I suddenly came across a big log that had fallen on the road blocking the way. There was no way around it. Another car with 3 young men came behind me. The 4 of us tried to move the log but we could not move it even one inch. Those guys said they were going to call the ranger, but I thought it might take hours to clear the road, so I decided to go to Shaw Peak, which I had originally planned to climb a couple of days later. I did not remember where my planned trailhead for Shaw Peak had been.

 

Turned my handheld GPS on and I could see on its tiny screen where I needed to go. Drove back and got on Pinery Canyon Road. As usual, I had left a map at the house with my wife detailing my path for climbing South Timber Mountain. Unfortunately, I did not have a cell phone connection to inform her of the change in plans. Was surprised to see clouds on top of the mountains in that dry environment.

 

Shaw Peak in clouds, on Pinery Canyon Road
Shaw Peak in clouds, on Pinery Canyon Road

 

Started my hike at 7:35 AM, 5960 ft. I did not see any other people all day. The wind felt cold, so I had to wear my wool hat. The trail went parallel to a dry creek bed in a pretty forest.

 

Dry Pinery Creek bed
Dry Pinery Creek bed

 

After 0.75 miles, the trail made a sharp turn and began to climb a slope. Looking south at the slopes of Ida and Barfoot Peaks.

 

Slopes of Ida and Barfoot Peaks
Slopes of Ida and Barfoot Peaks

 

Points 6709 and 6988 ft.

 

Points 6709 ft and 6988 ft
Points 6709 ft and 6988 ft

 

Ida and Barfoot Peaks.

 

Ida and Barfoot Peaks
Ida and Barfoot Peaks

 

There were still clouds on top of the mountains. I was hoping that they would clear by the time I reached up there.

 

Clouds
Clouds

 

As I went higher on the south facing slope, the forest went away. Yellow grass and thorny plants appeared.

 

More arid
More arid

 

Ida Peak again.

 

Ida Peak
Ida Peak

 

At 1.7 miles, I was at a 6680 ft saddle. The summit of Shaw Peak appeared. Clouds were lifting off it.

 

Clouds clearing the summit of Shaw Peak
Clouds clearing the summit of Shaw Peak

 

The trail then went down 70 vertical feet taking me into a cold shaded canyon where forest appeared again. For the next mile that I was in the canyon, I came across bear scat very frequently but fortunately did not see any bears.

 

Forested canyon
Forested canyon
Forested canyon
Forested canyon

 

 

Summit of Shaw Peak.

 

Summit of Shaw Peak
Summit of Shaw Peak

 

At 9:05 AM, 2.87 miles and 7060 ft, I reached the Jhus Horse Saddle. Straight went down the other side, right went south and left north toward Shaw Peak. I turned left to go toward Shaw Peak, but the area was very overgrown. A barbed wire fence went parallel to the direction that I was going. I thought that the trail might have been on the other side of the fence. Went a short distance back to the saddle and got on the other side of the fence but there was no sign of any trail there. Back to the first side, I began to whack my way through the bushes, some of which were thorny. Good thing I had the correct path in my GPS. Was also afraid of stepping on snakes that might be hiding below the bush but did not see any. View of summit again.

 

Summit of Shaw Peak
Summit of Shaw Peak

 

For the next half a mile, sometimes remnants of a trail appeared and at other times I was whacking my way. The darn wire fence also continued. At around 7440 ft, I reached the base of the summit. Left the trail and got on steep grassy slopes that no longer required bushwhacking going toward the summit. Noted that I had cell phone connection. Called my wife and let her know where I was. That made me feel better.

 

Up the slopes of Shaw Peak
Up the slopes of Shaw Peak

 

At 10:06 AM, 3.82 miles and 7800 ft, I was on the summit. It remained very windy.

 

Looking northeast. Point 7672 ft seen on the left.

 

Point 7672 ft on the left
Point 7672 ft on the left

 

Looking east. Point 7442 ft left of center.

 

Point 7442 ft
Point 7442 ft

 

Looking southeast. Buena Vista and Barfoot Peak on the right. The close Point 8022 ft left on center.

 

Barfoot and Buena Vista Peaks, left Point 8022 ft
Barfoot and Buena Vista Peaks, left Point 8022 ft

 

Looking north at the jagged Cochise Head and the horn of Maverick Peak. South Timber Mountain that I had originally planned to climb is seen on the left.

 

Timber Mountain, Cochise Head and Maverick Peak
Timber Mountain, Cochise Head and Maverick Peak

 

Zoomed view of Cochise Head and Maverick Peak
Zoomed view of Cochise Head and Maverick Peak

 

 

Looking south at Buena Vista, Barfoot and Ida Peaks.

 

Buena Vista, Barfoot and Ida Peaks
Buena Vista, Barfoot and Ida Peaks
Zoomed view of Ida Peak
Zoomed view of Ida Peak

 

Plains to the southwest.

 

Plains to the southwest
Plains to the southwest

 

Dos Cabezas Peaks to the northwest.

 

Dos Cabezas Mountains
Dos Cabezas Mountains

 

After eating and enjoying the views, I left at 10:30 retracing my way back. Note the difference between the desert-like south facing slopes and the forested north facing ones.

 

Point 7442 ft
Point 7442 ft
Point 7442 ft
Point 7442 ft
From the slopes of Shaw Peak
From the slopes of Shaw Peak
Slopes of Shaw Peak
Slopes of Shaw Peak

I then reached the overgrown trail and the fence. Bushwhacking started again.

 

Fence and bushwhack
Fence and bushwhack

 

Bushwhack
Bushwhack

 

 

Jhus Horse Saddle at 4.7 miles and 11:30 AM. Finally, back on good trail with no more bushwhacking.

 

Summit of Shaw Peak
Summit of Shaw Peak

 

In the forested canyon again.

 

Forested canyon
Forested canyon

 

Forested canyon
Forested canyon

 

Forested canyon
Forested canyon

 

Not looking at my GPS, I went a little too far down the canyon. Went up a slope and reached the trail that exited the canyon. View of Ida Peak.

 

Ida Peak
Ida Peak

 

The more arid slopes.

 

On the trail
On the trail

 

On the trail
On the trail

 

Points 6709 ft and 6988 ft.

 

Points 6709 ft and 6988 ft
Points 6709 ft and 6988 ft

 

Barfoot and Ida Peaks again.

 

Barfoot Peak
Barfoot Peak

 

Back along the dry Pinery Creek.

 

Dry Pinery Creek bed
Dry Pinery Creek bed

Red Tape

Day hikes require no permits or fees.

When to Climb

Summer can be very hot and is the rainy season. Spring and fall are the bets times. 

 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chiricahua MountainsMountains & Rocks