Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.10300°N / 116.844°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10806 ft / 3294 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview




Charlton Peak is in the San Gorgonio wilderness near Big Bear Lake. To get to the summit, it's about a ten mile hike from the South Fork trailhead and about 3,900 ft. of vertical gain. Named in 1921 by USFS topographer Donald McLain for Rushton H. Charlton, Angeles National Forest Supervisor (1907-24). Charlton and it's sidekick Little Charlton (10,696')are often climbed as part of the "nine peaks" link up, which requires about 30 miles of hiking. The challenge for serious peak baggers is to tag all nine summits in a single day!


Here is the list of the "Nine Peaks", all over 10,000 ft.

San Bernardino pk, 10649 ft.
San Bernardino east peak, 10,691 ft.
Anderson peak, 10,864 ft.
Shields peak, 10,701 ft.
Alto Diablo, 10,806 ft.
Charlton peak, 10,806 ft.
Little Charlton peak, 10,6076 ft.
Jepson peak, 11,205 ft.
San Gorgonio summit, 11,499


Getting There

The drive:
Exit Interstate 10 at Orange street (hwy.38) in the city of Redlands (about 70 miles east of L.A.). Go past Angeles Oaks about 6 miles and turn right on Jenks Lake west Road. The parking lot for the South Fork trailhead is on the left, about 3 miles.

The hike:
Take the South Fork trail (IE04)7.5 miles to Dollar Lake Saddle at 10,000 ft. Turn left on the Summit Ridge Trail (WE07) and go about 1.2 miles to the saddle at Dry Lake View. From the saddle go up the south ridge of Little Charlton, and up to Charlton Peak.

Angeles Oaks offers a restaurant and store. There is also a pay phone.
Restrooms are located at the trailhead. No running water though.

Red Tape

Wilderness permits are required for overnight and day use.
The National Forest Adventure Pass is required for vehicles parked at the trailhead.
Obtain Passes and Permits at:

Mill Creek Ranger Station
34701 Mill Creel Road
Mentone, Ca. 92359

Adventure Pass information

When To Climb

Climbing season is year round. During the winter, expect snow.
This area is popular with backcountry skiers and boarders.

April through November is the best time for hiking and most days will be sunny and clear. Watch out for thunder storms. This area does get some severe afternoon storms so keep an eye out.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, permits required.

There are two campgrounds near the trailhead offering car camping:
Barton Flats and San Gorgonio. Both have tap water, payphone, restrooms, and showers. $15.00 per night. Both campgrounds are on hwy 38 a few miles east of Jenks lake west road.
USFS camping info

Angeles Oaks offers a restaurant and store. There is also a pay phone.
Restrooms are located at the trailhead. No running water though.

Mountain Conditions

USFS conditions info
sgwa current conditions.
weather

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

pwagenet - Aug 12, 2012 5:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Wrong Coordinates

The coordinates provided appear to be for Jepson Peak. According to http://www.mountainsmounts.com/mountain/5749/charlton-peak/ and Google Earth it should be 34.1144552 N, 116.8536358 W.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.