Ten Thousand Foot Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.11364°N / 116.79263°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10094 ft / 3077 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the 21 Southern California named peaks above 10,000 feet (south of the Sierra Nevada). Despite the name, it actually is a peak with pretty good prominence and fantastic view of San Gorgonio and the valley below. This peak can be done in a day along with nearby Lake Peak and Grinnell Mountain, with the off-trail portions following the saddle and ridgelines. A more direct and challenging route can be taken directly up one of the colliers, particularly the one leading to the saddle with Lake Peak. This route can also make for a fun and very long glissade in good snow.

Getting There

Take I-10 East and exit Orange Street exit (SR 38). Go one block east before turning left (north) on Lugonia Avenue. Turn right (east) on SR 38 and go about 30 miles to 1N02 on the right 1 mile past Hear Bar Campground. At 1.2 miles a fork is reached, go right on 1N05 (Fish Creek). At 2.8 miles, Aspen Grove Trail 2E05 goes west. Continue on the road. If the gate is locked (it often is in the winter months), the hike can be started here, adding about 3 miles round trip and 500' of gain. At 6.9 miles turn right at fork. At 7.2 miles turn right at fork. Where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses the road, turn right. At 7.6 miles turn right at another fork. At 7.7 miles, Fish Creek Trailhead (1W07) at 8,120ft is reached. Once exiting SR38 the road is dirt and can be rough depending on recent weather and the time of the year. A passenger car can usually handle it if its taken slowly, but a higher clearance vehicle makes the 10 mile drive quicker.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

No great camping spots, but there is plenty of room at the trail head and along the course of the hike. Water can be limited.

External Links

Sierra Club - 10,000 Foot Ridge

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
cab

cab - Jul 30, 2010 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Red Tape

Regarding the "None" in the Red Tape section, you do need to obtain a free permit in order to start any hike (day hikes included) at the Fish Creek TH (or at many other THs in the SB Mountains for that matter). These can be obtained at www.sgwa.org/permit_dayhike.pdf. In addition, a Forest Adventure Pass ($5/day or $30/year) is needed to park anywhere in the wilderness.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1