Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 21, 2017
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

Joined the group of mutliple failed attempts on Cleveland before finally making summit April 21, 2017. After several snowshoe treks higher each time on logging rd 4622 I made it to within 200' of summit on Jan 13th 2017. Exhausted after soloing thru 18" deep snow for 6 miles and telling myself I would turn back at 4 PM no matter what I backed down steep slope below summit block and retreated with headlamp blazing. April 21st talked friend into going. We did well up the 4.5 miles of 4622 and soon found ourselves at the 4400' Rocky Ridge. Since I had gone east B4 I wanted to try west. Seemed OK at first then as I was ascending steep snow to possible crossover gap in ridge my buddy begins yelling that we need to discuss turning around since its already 2:30. Decided to back down and gave him the car keys and said I wasn't turning back for any reason because weather was too perfect. We parted ways after agreeing I would try to hitchhike but he would come back for me if no one gave me a ride. 

Since I had done the East bypass of ridge B4 I went back since I knew the route. Once your past ridge its pretty strait forward climb to summit block. Stashed pack and Shoes and post holed thru deep snow up final two slopes. Top seemed like a cornice but actually is a well anchored snow dome. It was 4:15 so I took a few pics and didn't spend too much time taking in the amazing views. Wanted plenty of time to carefully solo back down. Each step was like a little snowslide and took many falls. Decided to check out the West bypass of ridge and can say it is for sure easier. Pretty soon ran into tracks where I had parted ways with friend and was past the "crux" in no time. Having done East side 3 times and West 1 time I think West is easier and the steepest section with serious fall issues is much shorter. Go West unless you want to get to the lake. 

Anyhow this was either my 5th or 6th try since Dec.'17. My Excuse is I was solo each time and it was a banner snow year! Allow more time than you think because the summit views are pretty great and you will want to hang out awhile. We started hike at 9:30 and I got back to Money Creek Bridge at 9:15 using headlamp. Hiked out to US 2 where my buddy picked me up because there's no good hitchhiking westbound with cars flying out of tunnel and no place to pull over. Dumb idea but I was really glad I went for it and made summit. Kinda like Beckler Peak except this "trailhead" is plowed so you can always get to it. Unlike Beckler you are almost gauranteed to have Cleveland to yourself 'cause its a long approach! Better views also.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cleveland MountainTrip Reports