Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.12254°N / 119.33706°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11394 ft / 3473 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
High Sierra from Bridgeport Valley
Crater Crest, Matterhorn Peak and Sawtooth Ridge from Bridgeport Valley
This is the big sprawling mountain that rises above the south side of popular Twin Lakes southwest of Bridgeport in the Eastern Sierra.
Apparently this peak is volcanic in nature although when I climbed it it appeared to be composed of the typical metamorphic rock characteristic of many peaks along the eastern scarp of the northeast Sierra. It is reported to have several small craters along the summit ridge and a small crater a half mile north northwest of Tamarack Lake at 9,800' that might be of some curiosity.
The east slope is a class 1-2 dayhike from Upper Summer Meadows or the northeast Twin Lake. The northeast ridge looks to be a class 1-2 dayhike from the northeast Twin Lake. The north and northwest ridges look pretty staight forward also but steeper. The north summit is the highpoint.
The Crater Crest has outstanding views of the north face of Twin Peaks, Matterhorn Peak and the Sawtooth Ridge.

Getting There

 
Crater Crest from the east
Crater Crest from Tamarack Lake Trail
East slope via Upper Summer Meadows: From the junction with of Hwy. 120 take Hwy. 395 north 21 miles (1 mile past Willow Springs) and turn south (left) on Summer Meadows Road. At 1 mile fork right and go another 9.5 miles to Upper Summer Meadows to where the road becomes 4WD at 7,800'.
Drive (if you have 4WD) or hike the road up 1 mile where a trail goes right for .5 miles and joins the Tamarack Lake Trail. Go left 1.5 miles up to Tamarack Lake at 9.630'. Climb the east slope 1.4 miles to the north summit on the right.

East slope via Twin Lakes: From Bridgeport go 10 miles southwest on the Twin Lakes Road to the Sawmill Campground on the left at the northeast end of the first lake. Turn right and go .5 mile to the trailhead at the Twin Lakes Campground at 7,100'. Hike up staying to the right at a fork (.1 mile) and go up 1 mile to the junction with the Tamarack Lake Trail. Go left and follow the Tamarack Lake Trail 3 miles to the lake and take the east slope.

Northeast ridge: Follow the same directions as the east slope via Twin Lakes and at the junction to the Tamarack Lake Trail, at 1 mile, continue straight approximately 1 mile on the trail that runs above the south side of the lakes and break trail (8,000') up the northeast ridge to the north summit.

Red Tape

 
Crater Crest west pano
West pano from Crater Crest
This is Toiyabe National Forest and no permits are required for this dayhike.
For Toiyabe National Forest camping contact:

Bridgeport Ranger District
P.O. Box 595 (Hwy. 395)
Bridgeport, Ca. 93517
(760) 932-7070

Camping

 
Whorl Mountain, 12,033   from the  Crater Crest
Whorl Mtn. from Crater Crest
 
Matterhorn Peak, 12,279  from the Crater Crest
Matterhorn Peak from Crater Crest
There are the Sawmill and Twin Lakes campgrounds at the northeast end of the first Twin Lake 10 miles from Bridgeport on the Twin Lakes Road on the left.
Upper Summer Meadows is a beautiful area to camp with no facilities.

Bridgeport weather and 5 day forecast

 
Eagle Peak massif
Victoria and Eagle Peak from the Tamarack Lake trail
 
Upper Summer Meadows
Upper Summer Meadows
For Current weather and 5 day forecast click here.

Etymology

Crater Crest (11,394)

Several craters on a mile-long ridge. Probably named by the USGS during the 1905-09 survey for the Bridgeport 30'map; the name is on the first edition, 1911. (TNF)
Place Names of the Sierra Nevada- Peter Browning

Skiing the Crater Crest

A north gully descent: TMS Blog

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sierra NevadaMountains & Rocks