Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.05510°N / 118.65626°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12774 ft / 3894 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wheel Mountain is located on the Black Divide, between the Devils Crags and Mount McDuffie. It is on the SPS list. The peak receives about one visit per year (none in 2019).

Getting There

From South Lake hike over Bishop Pass and down Dusy Basin to the Le Conte Ranger Station. Turn left on the PCT/JMT and hike to Grouse Meadow. There, cross the Middle Fork of the Kings River, and contour the steep slopes on the West side of the river to reach the Rambaud Creek drainage. Hike up the drainage, staying mostly to the right (North) of the creek. Aim for Lake 10,400 at the head of the Rambaud Creek drainage. This is a good place to camp, just below Devils Crag #1. Hike another mile up to Rambaud Pass, staying to the left near the top over very loose rock (or, in the early season, easy snow).

Route

The easiest route up the peak is the Southeast Ridge from Rambaud Pass. From Rambaud Pass, turn NW up that ridge. Most of it is class 2. Just below the summit. some steep but easy class 3 rock take you to the high point. Consult Secor for other route options.

Red Tape

A wilderness permit is required for overnight stays in the Inyo National Forest and SEKI National Park.

When to Climb

Anytime of the year, but Spring, Summer and Fall offer good conditions. Rambaud Pass is easier to get to in the early season, with snow cover on the loose parts of the climb to the pass.

Camping

Camping is possible in the Rambaud Creek drainage and the beautiful basin South of Rambaud Pass / West of Mount Woodworth.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sierra NevadaMountains & Rocks
 
Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPMountains & Rocks