Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.97580°N / 111.6608°W
Additional Information County: Cache
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9873 ft / 3009 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Doubletop MountainDoubletop North Summit

Doubletop Mountain is the second highest peak in the Bear River Range. The summit is near the border of Northern Utah with the north ridge continuing into Southeastern Idaho. The name of the mountain comes from its twin summits. A distinct gunsight notch divides the two summits. The south summit is the highpoint and the north summit has an interesting summit block. Of course, you'll have to see for yourself.

The highest mountain in the Bear River Range is Naomi Peak. Many people hike to the summit of Naomi Peak each year but Doubletop Mountain sees fewer people. I climbed it on a snowy and cold October day and found a pristine summit with no register, or perhaps it was buried under snow. The view was great and far removed from the more popular peaks to the south. The mountain has three main routes with two from the east and one from the west.

The Bear River Mountains are a limestone and dolomite range. They form the northern extension of the Wasatch Range. They run in a north to south direction through two states from Soda Springs, Idaho to Logan, Utah. This is a great area with many beautiful mountains and lakes. The highest peaks are over 9,000 feet in elevation. They vary from rolling hills to summits surrounding by rugged cliffs. Some of the more interesting peaks remain unnamed and are seldom climbed.

Getting There


Steep Hollow:
Doubletop MountainDoubletop Mountain

Drive on I-15 north of Brigham City and take exit 362 (US-91/Logan). Keep driving on US-91 through Sardine Canyon. After 25 miles US-91 will merge into Main Street in Logan. Drive to the intersection of Main Street and 400 North in Logan. Turn east on Hwy 89 into Logan Canyon. Drive up Logan Canyon for about 25 miles until you see a dirt road branching off to the west signed for Franklin Basin. Drive down this road for about 3.3 miles. There is a dirt road on the left with a new sign that says Steep Canyon. On maps it is labeled as Steep Hollow so that is what I will continue to call it. High clearance vehicles can drive farther. If the road is wet 4-wheel drive is recommended. The road continues for 1.5 miles. There will be a few side roads but just stay on the main road which ends at a barrier used to keep atv's out. The high clearance trailhead starts here.

Steam Mill Canyon:

Drive on I-15 north of Brigham City and take exit 362 (US-91/Logan). Keep driving on US-91 through Sardine Canyon. After 25 miles US-91 will merge into Main Street in Logan. Drive to the intersection of Main Street and 400 North in Logan. Turn east on Hwy 89 into Logan Canyon. Drive up Logan Canyon for about 25 miles until you see a dirt road branching off to the west signed for Franklin Basin. Drive down this road for about 0.25 miles. The Steam Mill Canyon trail starts on the west side of the road.

High Creek North Fork:

Drive on I-15 north of Brigham City and take exit 362 (US-91/Logan). Keep driving on US-91 through Sardine Canyon. After 25 miles US-91 will merge into Main Street in Logan. Continue down Main Street and drive approximately 2.5 miles north of Richmond on US 91. Continue about a mile and look for forest service road 408 heading east. The trailhead is 4.5 miles down this rough and bumpy dirt road. A high clearance vehicle is recommended. There is a parking lot at the end of the road.


Routes Overview


Steep Hollow
Doubletop MountainDoubletop Summit

Steep Hollow is the most direct route with the least amount of elevation. There is no trail in upper Steep Hollow but the ridge can be climbed anywhere. You'll end up south of both summits where you can follow the ridge north to the top. You can also take a more straight forward route that climbs up to the notch between the two summits. Crescent Lake is located in the next canyon to the north. Read the route page for more information.

Steam Mill Canyon

Steam Mill Canyon is located farther south of Steep Hollow. There is a trail that is sometimes hard to follow that goes up the canyon. Steam Mill Peak, 9,284 feet tall, is located to the north. In the upper south side of the canyon is Steam Mill Lake. Climb up to the ridge at the upper end of the canyon. Once on the ridgetop continue north to the summit of Doubletop. It is 6 miles one way with 3,173 feet elevation gain.

High Creek North Fork

This route starts from the west side of the range. It is a very scenic route that has the most elevation gain. On the west side of the mountain is High Creek Canyon which has north and south forks. The north fork trail climbs up to the ridge where you enter into Idaho. A trail can be followed south, back into Utah, to the summit of Doubletop. It is 6.2 miles one way with 3,900 feet elevation gain.


When to Climb

Doubletop MountainSummit View North
Gog, Magog, and Naomi PeakSummit View South

The best time to hike up Doubletop Mountain is from June through September. It can be climbed later in the season if the weather is still good. Use caution during Autumn. There will be hunters in the area during this time.

The mountain would be difficult to access in winter because dirt roads will be covered in snow. Franklin Basin road is used by snowmobilers and is packed down so you could ski in to the trailhead if you want to. This will add several miles to the approach. In spring, expect the roads to be wet in the higher elevations.

Logan Utah, Weather Forecast

Camping


The Bear River Range has several campgrounds. On the west side of the range is High Creek Campground which is on a first come, first serve basis. There are nine campgrounds located on the byway. They are open from Memorial Day to October.


Doubletop MountainNorth Ridge
Doubletop MountainSouth Ridge

Spring Hollow Campground - Spring Hollow is 4 miles up the west side Logan Canyon. There are 8 sites.

Guinavah Campground - This campground is located 5 miles up the west side of Logan Canyon and has 40 sites.

Tony Grove Campground - Most popular place to camp in Logan Canyon. It is 18 miles up Logan Canyon with 36 sites.

Sunrise Campground - Sunrise is located 6 miles west of Bear Lake and 1 mile east of Bear Lake summit with 26 sites.


Backcountry Camping Regulations:

Backcountry camping is allowed and there are numerous primitive camping spots on both sides of the range. Try to use exiting camp sites. These sites tend to fill up on holiday weekends so plan ahead of time. On regular weekends you should have no problem finding primitive places to camp. Camp at least 200 feet away from lakes, trails, or other sources of water. Camping is allowed for a period of 3 days or less at an individual site. Practice leave no trace techniques.


Red Tape

Doubletop from Cache ValleyDoubletop Mountain seen from the west
Doubletop MountainDoubletop North Summit

Doubletop Mountain is located in Wasatch-Cache National Forest

There are no fees for climbing Doubletop Mountain.

A 4-wheel vehicle is needed if you plan to drive to the upper trailhead for Steep Hollow. A passenger vehicle can drive to the lower trailhead which is on a nice gravel road. A high clearance vehicle is recommended for driving to the High Creek trailhead.

The following rules apply:

Group size of 10 people or less. No short-cutting any trail switchbacks. No disposing of garbage, debris, or other waste.


Books


Utah Mountaineering Guide
By Michael R. Kelsey. In this book, he briefly describes climbing Doubletop Mountain and has a map of the area.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.