"Gully Route"

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.54160°N / 120.5194°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Gully Route is probably the easiest in the area for two reasons, it's on Orchard Rock, the first formation from the cars and the rating is 5.0. I do not think the 5.0 rating is suppose to get you to the right hand summit, so beware that is an unprotected move to the top, but two bomber bolts for rapping if you get there. There are numerous cracks for descent cam placements on the way up for safety even though the rating is low. This is a fantastic learning formation. You can do a couple of variations up the "Gully" and once the leader has climbed, you can top rope any one very safely. The scenery is enjoyable too. Have at it.

Getting There

Walk about 5 minutes from your car to Orchard Rock, the first formation you get to. The "Gully" Route is not visable from the cars, so walk around to the east side on sloping ground to find this route.

Route Description

Rope up and head into the "Gully" with a couple of variations, you choose. Down climb fom the Pass where you can see the cars or make the addition moves to the higher summit where there are two huge bolts and plenty of space to belay your partner up or rap down and top rope for the ones that follow. Just a great route of 60 to 80 feet for practice or learning for newbies to rock.

Essential Gear

60 meter rope was more than enough, couple of cams if you want for the leader.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.