Irati-Northwest ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99110°N / 1.0129°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F (Walk-up)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Cabañas de Ibarrondo or Cabañas de Irati in the Selva de Irati.

Spanish approach:
Approach to the village of Ochagavia:
-from Pamplona: N-240 to cross of Venta de Judas where it indicates Lumbier. NA-178 to Ezkaroz and Ochagavia.
-from Huesca: N-330 to Sabiñanigo in north. Turn left to Jaca. C-134 to Puente la Reina de Jaca and follow it to the same cross to Lumbier (alternative: after the village of Berdun and before the dam of Yesa turn right to C-137 to Salvatierra de Esca and valley of Roncal (NA-137). In the village of Isaba turn left in direction to Uztarroz / Ochagavia.

Approach to the Cabañas de Irati (Irati's huts):
Near Ochagavia in north direction we follow the road to Sanctuary of Muskilda but before the sanctuary we continue in north direction. After 18 km we arrive to the Cabañas de Irati. For forest track (bad road) we can arrive to the Cabañas de Ibarrondo and we park the car (from Cabañas de Irati to here there are 3h to walk up if you want it).

Very important note: the access in Cabañas de Irati to Cabañas de Ibarrondo has a new signal of forbbiden pass in year 2009. For the moment you must walk to the trailhead from there or tou can ride your BTT.

French approach:
The access goes from St Jean Pied de Port to St Jean Le Vieux and Lecumberry. We reach Col de Burdinkurutxeta descending to Iraty-Cize. In left side is the road to Châlet d'Iraty and Ibarrondoua.

Route Description

Start: Cabañas de ibarrondo(1330m)
Slope: 850m.
Time to summit: 2h (5h 30min from C.de irati).

We are placed in the hillsides of the Zazpigaña, the peak that us conceals the view of the principal summit of the Ory. The first step will be reach the col that we see to the left of the Zazpigaña, named Col of Tarta (1431m), for a grassy hillside. In the col we turn to right (SE) and climb the rocky ridge to the summit of Zazpigaña (1765m, 1h). Now, we descent a little to cross the Horcada de Alupiña, the only step-crossing a little complicated if remain the snow (posibility of ice) at the end of the winter. Without snow it is an easy step that only needs the use of the hands.
Already we are placed in the ridge NW that will take us directly to the top of the Ory (2018m, 2h).

In winter: the step-crossing of H.de Alupiña It can be frozen and be complicated by what it can be avoided climbing over the ridge of degree III with bad rock.

Essential Gear

Nothing.
In winter is necessary crampons and ice-axe.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OriRoutes