Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.04200°N / 106.8376°W
Additional Information County: Pitkin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 13322 ft / 4061 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Leahy Peak located in the center of the Elk Range outside of Aspen, Colorado, is not much of a peak itself. Rather it is an auxiliary spur of a ridgeline that landed a name proximate to a popular hiking destination- Cathedral Lake.

Adequate prominence or not, Leahy Peak is an intriguing little mountain with superb views of its nearby popular neighbors, Malamute and Cathedral Peaks. Leahy Peak's southwestern slopes are broad and treeless allowing for an easy Class I/II ascent. Its north and east faces plummet to the cirques and valleys below exhibiting some of the unique, red coloring that's ubiquitous in the range.

One must not wonder far from the trail to discover themselves on the summit of Leahy Peak. In fact, it is about two hundred feet lower than Electric Pass, Colorado's highest named pass. The trail nearly summits the mountain before sharply turning to the west, just short of the ridgeline.

Leahy Peak is solely for those not acclimatized to the atmosphere and looking for a somewhat banal, yet slightly arduous hike for a good sneak peak of the more difficult peaks to climb in the area.

Getting There

From Aspen, Colorado, head west on the main highway until reaching the roundabout. Exit on the Castle Creek turnout and drive approximately 12 miles on this paved road through a verdant, winding canyon.

Shortly after Ashcroft (a ghost town), proceed right on a clearly marked trailhead road claiming "Cathedral Lake 3.5 miles." Continue up the dirt road about one quarter of a mile to the trailhead.

Red Tape

The southwest slopes, tempting as they may be to directly forge your way up them, are comprised of tender tundra. Don't make the idiotic mistake I did and continue as high as you're able to on the Electric Pass Trail before diverging onto the high ridgeline to protect precious flora and fauna.

Camping

There is ample camping room available at nearby Cathedral Lake.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.