Little Virgin Peak (NV)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.60472°N / 114.22383°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3533 ft / 1077 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


View down the North Ridge



Little Virgin Peak is a nice little peak in the Virgin Mountains of Southern Nevada. With a prominence of only 676 feet it is not high on a hiker’s priority. Though it should not be overlooked. There are great 360 degree views from its summit. To the north one can see Davidson Peak, Moapa Peak, and Mormon Peak. To the west you can see the colorful rocks of the Valley of Fire as well as the Muddy Mountains. To the south is Lake Mead. To the East you can see Virgin Peak and its long ridge leading to its summit.

The closest town of any size is Mesquite, which is only about 23 miles away. One thing to note, on the drive in there are some narrow spots on the road going over some hills. You cannot see over these hills. To be safe honk your horn as you come to these. Lots of pickups pulling ATVs use Gold Butte Road. I did this and it kept a pickup from hitting me one time.

Getting There




From Las Vegas drive North on I-15.

From Mesquite Drive West on I-15

Take exit 112 Driving South on HWY 170. Drive South across the Virgin River (3.0 miles) and turn right (West) on New Gold Butte Road. Drive either 12 or 13.6 miles to the trailhead depending on whether you want to hike the North Ridge or East Ridge to the summit.



Red Tape / Camping

None. There are no concessions (i.e., no gas, lodging, food, campgrounds) on the Wildlife Refuge. Camping is permitted anywhere within 100 feet of a designated road as long is it is not within 1/4 mile of a water source. Campfires are permitted using dead wood.

Weather

Click for Mesquite, Nevada Forecast

External Links

  • Trip Report
  • ReoCities Trip Report


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.