Long Trek Mountain

Long Trek Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.38590°N / 106.6803°W
Additional Information County: Archuleta
Additional Information Elevation: 12866 ft / 3922 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Long Trek MountainLong Trek Mountain from the north
Long Trek MountainLong Trek Mountain from the south
Long Trek Mountain is 12er (mountain < 12,000 feet) located in southern Colorado in South San Juan Wilderness. The mountain combines well with other 12ers in the area (mostly unnamed) and with 13ers: Montezuma Peak, The Unicorn and Summit Peak

The mountain is located along the Continental Divide Trail. Continental Divide Trail CDT is national scenic trail running 3,100 miles (5,000 km) running between Mexico and Canada. It follows the Continental Divide, which separates watersheds that drain into the Pacific Ocean from those rivers that drain into the Atlantic.

The hike is scenic, mostly on trail and tundra. 

South San Juan Wilderness area is remote. The highest point is Summit Peak 13,300 feet. The Continental Divide Trail crosses the wilderness for 42 miles. By rumor, the last Colorado Grizzly bear was killed here in 1979. Many claim that more grizzlies still inhabit this area. 

Colorado Rank: 741

Parent Lineage: Montezuma Peak

Wilderness: South San Juan

Class: 2

Getting There

Summit view Summit view with Montezuma Peak in the center and Summit Peak in the distance left
Elwood Pass is high mountain pass at elevation of 11,650 feet (3,551 m). The road is gravel 4WD, but even most 2 WD cars can do it. The Continental Divide Trail crosses here. The road is typically open from June to October (until the first heavy snow fall). 

The area has plentiful dirt roads and some are 2 WD friendly. Forest Service 380 off US Highway 160 between South Fork and Wolf Creek Pass is easy 2 WD drive on gravel. The road 667 (description below) is 4 WD only.

From Pagosa Springs head northeast on US 160. Follow this road for 10.6 miles. Turn right onto FR 667 and pass the East Fork Campground. This is the Elwood Pass/East Fork Road. 

From South Fork head west on US 160 for 31.8 miles, turn right onto FR 667.

History: Elwood Pass was used by the Utes to reach the hot springs in Pagosa. IN 1876 early travelers cut a rough road over the pass. When Wolf Creek Pass opened and became an automobile route, the use of Elwood Pass has declined. 

Route

The route is an easy hike just off Continental Divide Trail. I traversed over from Montezuma Peak and ascended the snow free gentle slopes - class 1-2, descended east to join the CDT trail. The north side was completely snow covered. 

Red Tape

Parking and hiking the Continental Divide Trail are free. The mountain is located within South San Juan Wilderness area, so wilderness area rules apply. 

  • Group size is limited to no more than 15 people per party. 
  • Campfires (except those no using wood as a source of fuel) are prohibited within 200 feet of Bear Lake, Blue Lake, Green Lake, and Red Lake. 
  • Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of any water source. 
  • Camping is prohibited within 200 feet of Bear Lake, Blue Lake, Green Lake, and Red Lake. 
  • Do not shortcut switchbacks. 
  • Pets must be under verbal control or leashed at all times. 
  • Disposal of human waste and wash water is prohibited within 100 feet of any water source. 
  • As with all designated Wilderness areas, mechanical transportation (including wagons, game carts, wheelbarrows, bicycles, or other vehicles) is prohibited. 

When to Climb

Summer and early autumn are the easiest since there is not much snow along the Continental Divide Trail and you can drive all the way to the Elwood Pass. Early spring means a longer access and winter can pose very long approach and high avalanche danger. 

Camping

There is plenty of opportunity for primitive back country camping - both car camping by plentiful streams and lakes, or backpacking. There is no charge for such camping. 

Established campground would be East Fork Campground. For more information click here

External Links