Mount Niles, Yoho Park

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.50500°N / 116.422°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9750 ft / 2972 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Niles reflected in Sherbrooke Lake
Mount Niles is located near the South end of the Wapta Icefield in the Yoho National Park in British Columbia. The popular Wapta Traverse winter ski trip passes between Mount Niles and Mount Daly to the East.
The mountain is approached by way of Sherbrooke Lake and Niles Meadows which are also beautiful destinations with good hiking trails.
The mountain was first climbed in 1898 by D.Campbell and Charles Fay.
The route up the southwest slopes of the mountain is a moderate scramble and is described in the Scrambles In the Canadian Rockies 3rd edition
by Alan Kane


Getting There

The TransCanada Highway(#1) passes through the Yoho National Park in British Columbia and Banff National Park in Alberta. If coming from East in Banff, travel West past Lake Louise and over the continental divide(provincial boundary) into Yoho Park. Pass the West Louise Lodge in 1 km and then in .2 km turn right into the trailhead for the Sherbrooke Lake and Paget Lookout trails. The visitor center for Yoho National Park is located in Field several more kilometers west on the TransCanada.

Red Tape

Purchase a national park pass as you enter Banff National Park coming from the east on the Trans-Canada or at the Information center in Field. This pass is good for all four national parks. If you plan many visits to Canadian National Parks within one year, you should purchase an annual pass. There are no permit requirements to climb in Yoho National Park, but all camping is regulated. There is also a backcountry permit required if you plan on spending a night in the backcountry versus the town campsites. This can be obtained via the parks website which is included in the camping section below. Yoho National Park headquarters are located in Field, BC and you will drive through the manned national park kiosks as you enter Banff National Park on the Trans-Canada.

When To Climb and Conditions

The scrambling season for this area is generally from Mid July to end of September. There is usually a lot of snow in this area due to the proximity of the icefields. An ice axe is recommended early in the season.

Yoho National Park has weather, wildlife reports, trail closures, etc. The Canadian Avalanche Association is also useful, particularly for winter travel.


Camping

The closest roadside camp site would be the Kicking Horse and/or Monarch campgrounds west on the TransCanada at the turnoff for Yoho Valley Road. You can go on line at Yoho National park to pick a camp site and obtain your camping permit. You will also be required to obtain your backcountry permit which is separate, but can be obtained simultaneously if you plan on camping at a backcountry site. You cannot camp outside of the marked specific camping areas.

Field has one inn and several B&B’s and the West Louise Lodge.

External Links

Yoho National Park



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.