Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.90830°N / 115.2416°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10314 ft / 3144 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Bogart is the second highest peak in the Kananaskis Range located in Kananaskis Provincial Park on the eastern bank of the Canadian Rockies. Therefore, it is one of the most impressive peaks as viewed from Highway 40 heading south (Kananaskis Highway) and holds more snow and ice than the neighboring mountains. Mount Bogart was officially named in 1928 after a geologist who was one of the first scientists to study the Rockies. However, it was also unofficially named The Pyramid due to its triangular summit. Mount Bogart is connected via a northern long ridge to Mount Sparrowhawk, a popular scramble/back country ski mountain accessed via the Spray Lake Reservoir.

Mount Bogart’s summit can be easily viewed from the Kananaskis Village turnoff of Highway 40. The route however takes you on a long approach toward the south side of the mountain via Ribbon Creek Trail. The only published route is a long moderate to difficult scramble (depending on snow and ice conditions). It is a 5500’+/- ascent day more than likely encountering strong, if not voracious, winds.

Getting There

Take the Kananaskis Trial (Highway 40) exit off of the Trans-Canada Highway between Calgary and Canmore. Travel 23.4 km south on Highway 40 and turn right into Kananaskis Village and follow the signs to the Ribbon Creek parking lot. Take your bike for the long approach.

Red Tape

There are no permit requirements to enter, climb and/or park in Kananaskis Country. This is active grizzly country however. Take bear spray. You drive by the park headquarters on the way in on Highway 40. Any recent notices will be posted on the bulletin board outside. If they are open, check in with the ranger staff, they have tons of beta and are always friendly.

When To Climb

This can be a harsh mountain and is therefore a summer scramble. Try from late June through September. I climbed the mountain in October and faced considerable ice.

Camping

You can make this a long day trip or sleep in style at the Ribbon Creek Hostel, just walking distance to the trail head. Or really go all out and stay at the posh Delta Lodge in Kananaskis Village. There are campgrounds available as well, including a very nice campsite 11 km in route, Ribbon Falls. You cannot camp outside of the marked specific camping areas in Kananaskis. Refer to the Kananaskis Provincial Park website for more information regarding camping or lodging.

Mountain Conditons

The Kananaskis Provincial Park website is a very thorough park website, including trail conditions or closures, wildlife notices, weather conditions, avalanche conditions, camping permits, whitewater conditions, etc. It is an excellent source if you are going to spend any time here and comparable to any National Park website I have used.

External Links

  • 100’s of Canadian Rockies multi-pitch rock climbs, ice climbs, alpine climbs and scrambles, just scroll down to routes
  • OR: Best True Technical Clothing and Accessories in the Outdoor Industry
  • Scarpa, has surpassed La Sportiva in terms of quality, function, value
  • Osprey Backpacks, Not a Second Choice
  • Great Outdoors Depot
  • Mont-Bell
  • Cascade Designs (MSR; Thermarest; Platypus)


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

     
    KananaskisMountains & Rocks
     
    Kananaskis 10,000+ ’ersMountains & Rocks
     
    Kananaskis 3000+ ’ersMountains & Rocks