Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.83330°N / 71.75°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2900 ft / 884 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Stinson Mtn. from Rattlesnake...Stinson from Rattlesnake Mountain

Stinson Mountain located just north of the beautiful small town of Rumney, NH is a well known local hike. The hike, only 3.6 miles is a great family hike due the trail's easy to moderate pitches. The trail stays Class 1 throughout the hike and the views on top are great for the minimal effort needed. The views from the top of Stinson Mountain are excellent, especially to the south towards Mt. Cardigan and the Lakes Region. There is also a spur path to the southwest that gives views of Stinson Lake.

From Stinson Mtn. (3/7/04)Views from Stinson Mountain


Stinson Mountain in winter is a popular mountain. There is a snowmobile trail in winter which leads to the top. Stinson Mountain is also popular with snowshoe hiker due to it easy grades, though part of the road is not maintained in winter.

Getting There

VIA STINSON MOUNTAIN TRAIL (1495'): From I-93, get off on Exit 26. Take NH 25 past the shopping center. Stay right on the traffic circle and head toward Rumney. Past the first flashing light and take a right on the second flashing light (Stinson Lake Road). Go through the town of Rumney and continue to the foot of Stinson Lake (If you have the Stinson Lake General Store or Post Office you have gone too far). Take a right uphill on Cross Road for about 0.8 miles. Take another right on Doe Town Road where a sign points to Stinson Mountain. Go down the road 0.3 mile and the Stinson Mountain Trail will be on your left. 

Red Tape

No mandatory fee (yet!!!)

When To Climb

This mountain is great to climb at any season. It is easy and fun. Snowshoes are well-advised on Stinson Mountain during winter due to deep snow that can fall in the upper portion of the trail. If climbing in May and June than bring bug repellent due, for this black fly season and they are scratching to see you.

Camping

Stinson Mtn. is an easy 3.6 mile hike that can be done in two hours. However, if you interested in camping then see the Backcountry Camping Rules in the AMC White Mountain Guide.

Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provide you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.