Tozal de Guara

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.28785°N / 0.22831°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6814 ft / 2077 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sierra de Guara is in the Nature Reserve of the Guara's Range and Canyons of great landscape and natural interest. The action of the water for centuries has been eroding the limy rock originating deep canyons, narrows pass, ravines, gorges and waterfalls that have done of this zone of pre-pyrenees of Huesca the paradise of the descenders of canyons, which does that anually it receives great number of visitors specially of France.
Besides the natural interest it is not necessary to forget the cultural one due to the nice villages integrated to the zone as it is the case of Alquezar, village of medieval streets in which the former arabic fortress persists and which they it turn into one of the most beautiful of Aragon. It is typical of the Sierra de Guara the presence of uninhabited villages that are in the habit of serving of link between the routes of trekking.
Though the sports habitual activity is the decrease of canyons or "canyoning" ("barranquismo") with ropes, harness, helmet and suits of neopreno also there are nice routes of mountain with air of Pyrenees. The highest and emblematic point of the Sierra de Guara is the Tozal de Guara or Puntón de Guara (2077m) that is alike for his slope and difficulty of access to some 3000 meters of the nearby Pyrenees.
Other mounts of the zone are: Fragineto (1734m), Cabezo de Guara (1868m), Tozal de Cubilás (1957m), Montidinera (1448m) or Lupera (1467m). Certainly for his exceptional location all of them offer a magnificent vision of the central Pyrenees including Ordesa and Bielsa.

Canyons and ravines of Sierra de Guara

Among the nicest ravines and canyons and that deserve a visit (though some of them to be realized of complete form need special equipment for decrease of canyons) they stand out: Mascún, Formiga, Gorgas Negras, Guatizalema, Vero,… If it is been interested in this sport it is better to consult with any of the many companies of guides that exists in the zone that they rent equipment and organize this type of excursions. The Sierra de Guara has 60 canyons in total, the largest in Europe.
Many of the walls of the ravines are equipped to realize rock climbing with all the difficulties that are wished (there is even of 9 degree). Also the presence of a via ferrata (to Eta. Virgen del Camino) is known near Rodellar and Mascún's ravine.

Getting There

The Sierra de Guara is located near of Huesca, the principal town of the province.

Approach to Huesca:
From Pamplona: N240 to Puente la reina de Jaca. Two option from here to Huesca: N240 for Ayerbe or C-134 for Jaca and N330 to Sabiñanigo.
From Zaragoza: E07 (N-330) to north to Huesca.

Two principal routes for climb this mountain: North (Nocito) and south (Presa de Guara). See the routes to approach.

Red Tape

Natural Reserve with rules of conservation. The acces for decrease some of the canyons are limited out of june to september.
No permits required.
The walking poles are very necessary in many routes for this mountain range if it does not want to bath in the river.

When To Climb

May to september. In other one epochs of the year also generally it is possible to ascend to this mountain but the access for certain routes, specially for the south it can be impossible for the wealth of the rivers. In epoch of thaw after important snow all the fords of the rivers that it is necessary to cross can become problematic. This forces to take in addition the weight of the winter material for the final sections as crampons or ice axe in the rivers.

Camping

Lodging:
-Albergue-refugio de Guara (Alquezar).Tel: 974 318396.
-Albergue-refugio La Era (Alquezar). Tel: 974 318431.

Mountain Conditions

Meteo France.
I.N.Meteorología Spain.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.