Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.59490°N / 116.1429°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3658 ft / 1115 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Table Rock is located directly above downtown Boise, Idaho and is part of the extreme southwestern portion of the Boise Mountains.

Table Rock is to Boise as Camelback Mountain is to Phoenix, the small local downtown mountain that is good for a before or after work climb. The hike, or drive, offers grand views of the Boise skyline, foothills, and valley. It is being submitted not because its an outstanding peak, but because of its popularity and for out of town travelers, such as myself, in search of a short climb.

Table Rock is a relatively rounded hill but has an attractive flat summit with small caves and cliffs below, which make it appear as a giant table. Housing developments cover the lower portions of the western and southern slopes, and a new development has just been approved for the eastern.

Table Rock may be one of the most climbed "mountains" in Idaho. Its close proximity to the third largest city in the northwest, easy access, and excellent trail system allows almost anyone to make it to the summit. The easiest route of course would be to drive to the summit, which is no fun. The most popular route appears to be from the Table Rock Trail from Quarry Park just two miles from downtown, where dozens of people walk, jog, or bike to the top of Table Rock daily.

There are several localized technical climbs and bouldering areas on the slopes near the old quarry on Table Rock. You'll need to have inside contacts with a knowledgeable local to find these, good luck!

Getting There

Access to Table Rock is from Boise, Idaho. The Boise Municipal Airport is accessed via non-stop flights various cities in the following states.

  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Minnesota
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington

    From the Boise Airport, take Broadway Avenue heading toward downtown. Turn right on Warm Springs Avenue for two miles. Look for signs indicating a turnoff for Old Penetentiary Road, or the Idaho Botanical Gardens on the left.

    Make this left and drive to the point where center divide ends. Before entering the botanical gardens, look for a small road leading off to the left. Take this road around a corner to a large dirt parking lots. This is the trailhead.

    Table Rock Trail

    From the trailhead, take Table Rock Trail that begins switchbacking up the hillside below some homes. After .25 miles the trail proceeds to break into a small valley immedietly below Table Rock and its large cross.

    After a brief repreive from the uphill chugging, the trail reaches the base of Table Rock and steeply switchbacks to the summit in a total of about 1.5 miles.

    From the summit are grand views of the entire valley as well as the footills. Respect restricted areas near antenaes and the large cross the faces west.

    Red Tape

    The road to the summit closes routinely at around 9-10 o clock at night, but is otherwise open year-round.

    Several important antennaes and towers are located at the summit, stay away or prepare to pay a fine.

    Cutting switchbacks or taking short cuts on the trails along Table Rock's slopes have become a problem with damage and erosion issues. Dont be lazy and take the true route!

    When To Climb

    Summer months in the Boise region can be quite warm, especially in July and August. Temperatures reaching more than 100 degrees are not uncommon. So a either an early start, or very late one, would be best.

    Boise annually recieves little snow allowing Table Rock to be climbed throughout the year.

    Camping

    This is a city mountain and I would imagine camping would not only be uncomfortable with so many people but probably illegal.

    Boise a wide range of hotels and motels, some within walking distance of the Table Rock Trailhead. This website will provide all the local info needed.

    Mountain Conditions

    Boise is located along the Snake River Plain, which is basically a high desert plain.

    Here are some average and record weather observations from the airport.
    Average January High Temp 36
    Average July High Temp 90
    Average January Precip 1.5"
    Average July Precip .4"
    All Time Record High 111
    All Time Record Low -25


    The following links will give excellent explanations of the current and future weather for Boise.

  • NOAA Future Forecast-A wonderful forecast for the next 7 days.

  • NOAA Discussion- A scientific discussion from the NOAA forecast office updated 4 times daily.

  • Boise Observation- An in-depth hourly observation from the airport.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Vicles

Vicles - Dec 11, 2005 1:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

OR, what most climbers do is drive to the summit, descend 10-40 feet, then boulder/soloo the walls. There are also many places to set up topropes with the difficulty going up to 5.13. Otherwise, it is popular to break out the ice ax and knickers and climb up the side...

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Apr 25, 2006 3:22 am - Voted 10/10

Trail Options

The Tram Trail which starts near the Warm Springs Golf Course is an excellent single track. This trail roughly follows the original path that shuttled rock from the side of Table Rock down to Boise; the rock was originally used to build many of the first buildings in the area including the Capitol Building. Other options include approaching from the top of Warm Springs Mesa, following a trail around Table Rock's edge in a complete circuit and adding in the Castle Rock trail to increase the mileage. With a little creativity you can put together a pretty decent trail run in the 4-8 mile range with 700-1500 feet of elevation gain.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.