Schober-Frauenkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.81249°N / 13.31264°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 4360 ft / 1329 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Schober is 1.329 meter high mountain in the area of Flachgau, Salzburg. You can make a round trip on the way number 10 beginning at the Wartenfels hut at about 910 meters. After the hut you take the left way up to the top of Schober which takes about 1 hour and is a via ferrata (very easy; class A). On the way you pass the ruin Wartenfels (built in 13th century). When you have passed the ruine the way gets a little bit steeper and is secured with ropes. 
Schober, 1.329m
Ruin Wartenfels

From the top of Schober you have a wonderful view to Fuschl lake, Wolfang lake and Mond lake. Further you see the Dachstein region, Tennengebirge, Steinernes Meer, Watzmann and the Osterhorngruppe (Zwölferhorn etc.).
Some meters down the summit there is a small hut where you can get inside if it is very cold outside. Some minutes further down you reach the summit Frauenkopf, 1.303 meters and go on this way back. It takes about 1 hour to the Wartenfels hut.

Getting There

On the highway A1 (from Salzburg to Vienna) you take the exit Thalgau and drive on to the village Thalgau. In the middle of Thalgau you take the road to the right in direction of Fuschl. After about 7 kilometres follow the sign Ruine Wartenfels on the left side of the road. Take this road until it ends at the Wartenfels hut.

Views from the summit

Schober
Dachstein, Zwölferhorn

 
Schober
Schafberg, Wolfgang lake

 
Schober
Fuschl Lake, Salzburg area

Maps

Freytag & Berndt
WK 391 Mattsee-Wallersee-Irrsee-Fuschl-Mondsee
ISBN: 3850847306
Scale: 1:50 000

External Links

Wartenfels hut/pub (German Only)

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alps - Eastern PartMountains & Rocks