Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.64099°N / 13.27415°E
Additional Information County: Tennengau
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Ice Climbing, Scrambling, Canyoneering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5771 ft / 1759 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Trattberg Summit View

Trattberg is a very popular mountain a few kilomters east of Kuchl and only 20 km south-east of the city of Salzburg. Trattberg is located in the western part of the Osterhorn group, a subgroup to the Salzkammergut Mountains. It is a characteristic mountain of the Osterhorn group with beautiful mountain pastures on gentle inclined slopes on one side and sharp ridges and steep and rocky slopes on the other side.
Deep canyons, such as Tauglklamm in the north and Marchgraben / Aubach in the east cut their way to the wide Salzach Valley and to the Lammer Valley.
Trattberg is surrounded by lovely small villages as Kuchl and St. Koloman in the west, Golling in the south-west and Abtenau in the South. Due to the vicinity to the towns of Hallein and Salzburg, the good roads that lead to the mountain and the great views on the spectacular limestone Alps (Hoher Göll, Tennengbirge, Dachstein, Untersberg) and the flatlands in the north you usually won´t be alone on Trattberg. But still it is possible to find places where you can quietly enjoy this mountain.
One of the jewels of Trattberg is Seewaldsee, a magnificent small lake surrounded by mountain pastures and forests. If you don´t mind its black water you can have a good swim after climbing Trattberg. In late autumn and early winter you might find perfect conditions for ice skating.
If you climb Trattberg from Seewaldsee you will pass massive limestone walls (Wilhelmwand and Gitschenwand), a paradise for climbers that will find routes in really all difficulties.


Snowed InVordertrattberg
Trattberg Summit ViewGöll View
Summit ViewSchmittenstein
WilhelmwandWilhelmwand



Getting There

Seewaldsee

Trattberg is situated about 20km south-east of Salzburg City. Salzburg has an international airport and is connected to the transnational railway and motorway net.
The villages around Schlenken can be reached by public transports like busses (St. Koloman ,Abtenau) or by bus and train (Hallein, Vigaun, Kuchl, Golling).
An online train timetable can be found at: http://www.oebb.at/en/index.html


A toll road the Trattberg Panoramastraße
leads almost to the top. At weekends and holidays public busses starting in Hallein will bring you up the mountain.
Other starting points that can be reached by car or bike are Seewaldsee in the south and Tauglboden in the north.



Red Tape

There is no red tape. The toll road is 4 Euro per car.
Keep the mountains clean.



Camping and Accomodation

There are many possibilities to stay in the adjacent villages or nearby towns (from camping to very good hotels).
On the mountain several huts offer food and drinks:

Wimmeralm

Tel. 0664/22 117 68 or 06241/239
It is possible to stay overnight.

Moosangerlalm

Tel. 0664/98 677 63 or 06241/310

christlalm

Tel. 0664/38 335 43 or 06241/298

Enzianhütte

Tel. 0664/35 154 46 or Tel./Fax: 06241/238


VigaunVigaun
HalleinHallein
KuchlKuchl





When to Climb

Winter Conditions

Trattberg can be climbed all around the year. In winter and spring it is a favourite target for ski mountaineers. For hiking autumn is perfekt while in summer it can be very hot.

VordertrattbergalmWinter
Trattberg in AutumnAutumn
Trattberg as seen from SchwarzerbergSummer
Dachstein ViewDachstein View




Geology

Folded Radiolarite


Trattberg is mainly composed of Upper Jurassic limestones (Oberalmer Kalke, Barmsteinkalke) which are underlain by radiolarites, red ammonite limestones of Lower Jurassic age (Adneter Kalke) and Upper Triassic marls and limestones (Kössen Formation). The massive Barmsteinkalke are the remnants of turbidity currents that rushed into deep sea basins forming now steep rock faces.
The southern part of Trattberg consists of Triassic limestones (Dachstein Formation and Kössen Formation) and dolomite (Hauptdolomit Formation). Around Seewaldsee the Triassic rocks are frequently overlain by Cretaceous sandstones and marls (Rossfeld Formation).Oberalmer limestones and Dachsteinkalk show karstification and host many caves.


Caves

Schädelstätte

Till today more than 60 caves have been explored in the Trattberg massiv and adjacent mountains. In contrast to huge and old cave systems of Tennengebirge the most important caves of Trattberg are relatively young and active water caves. Caving in this area is extremely demanding but can also be highly interesting and fun if you dont mind creeping through extremely narrow wet and loamy passages climbing over waterfalls or swimming through cold cave lakes (water temp. between 4 and 6°C ).
The largest cave system the Kühlloch can be visited with a cave guide.

Herbert Burian, Geprüfter Höhlenführer
Markt 19, A-5450 Werfen / Salzburg
Tel. + Fax: (0043) (0)6468 / 7554
E @ Mail: h.burian@sbg.at

But be warned - this is hardcore caving. The tour lasts 6-8 hours!


Maps

The best map covering Trattberg and surroundings is the
Austrian Map 1:50.000 sheet N°94 Hallein
that also shows all marked trails

The Austrian Map can also be found on the internet at
http://www.amap.at


Webcams

This webcam that is situated in St. Koloman gives you an impression of the current mountain conditions.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alps - Eastern PartMountains & Rocks