Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.53730°N / 105.5667°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11495 ft / 3504 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Royal Mountain from RosalieRoyal Mountain from Rosalie Peak


Royal Mountain is a neat little 11er in the Mount Evans Wilderness of Colorado. Highly convenient to Denver, the summit sees relatively little traffic thanks to lack of an established trail to the summit. Views are pleasant from the summit, which is surrounded by stunted pine trees, but the views from the rocky northwestern end of the summit plateau are huge! Look closely, and you’ll even notice downtown Denver off in the distance through a cleft in the Pegmatite ridgeline.

Approached from the northwest, this mountain has a rugged, surprisingly big-mountain feel. The scenery to the northwest is particularly fetching, with Rosalie Peak and her companion summit Bandit Peak looking strong and dramatic. Though petite at less than 11,500 feet, Royal Mountain reminds us that good things come in small packages, even in the mountains!

Rank: 1,557th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 395 feet
USGS Quad: Harris Park

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

Approaching Royal MountainApproaching Royal Mountain
Crossing open grassCrossing open grass


Royal Mountain sits roughly 30 miles west of Denver and is easily reached via US 285. Primary access is either from the Deer Creek Trailhead (CR 43 to FS 100) or by following FS 106 up the Church Fork of Elk Creek out of Harris Park.

Red Tape

Heading up the NW ridgeHeading up the NW ridge
Summit AncientSummit Ancient


Royal Mountain is located in the Mount Evans Wilderness. Wilderness regulations apply, and include, per the Wilderness Act of 1964:

• Only foot traffic is allowed in the wilderness and all dogs must be on a leash.
• Motorized equipment is prohibited, including chain saws, battery powered tools, generators, etc.
• Mechanized transportation is prohibited, including, including bicycles, hang gliders or carts.
• Aircraft, including helicopters, are prohibited from landing, or dropping off/picking up any materials, supplies or persons.
• Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principals.

There is no fee for using this area, nor is any pre-registration necessary. Be courteous to land management professionals, and wise with an eye toward your own safety should anything go wrong, and register your party at the self-service kiosk at the wilderness boundary.

StrugglingStruggling
DownDown
Recovery!Recovered!

Camping

Beautiful NW ridgeBeautiful NW ridge
Beautiful NW ridgeBeautiful NW ridge

Bandit Peak and Rosalie PeakBandit Peak and Rosalie Peak

Mount LoganMount Logan


Deer Creek Campground, operated by the U.S. National Forest Service, is extremely convenient to Royal Mountain if accessing the peak from the Deer Creek Trailhead.

Elevation: About 9,000 feet
Facilities: Vault toilet and water
Number of sites: 13

The nearby Meridian Campground, also operated by the USFS, is a convenient camping area if accessing the peak out of Harris Park.

Elevation: About 9,000 feet
Facilities: Vault toilets and water
Number of sites: 18

Easy scramblingEasy scrambling
Astroclimber on the bouldersAstroclimber on the boulders
Astroclimber almost to the summitAstroclimber almost to the summit

Weather & Seasons

Last few easy stepsLast few easy steps
Cairn and registerCairn and register
Happy to summit!Happy to summit!





Find more about Weather in Grant, CO
Click for weather forecast
Thanks in part to private property holdings along the Deer Creek drainage road that require winter access, Royal Mountain is accessible year round.

Summer: The crowds from nearby Denver may border on unbearable for the hiker accustomed to solitude. While the summit of Royal Mountain may see very few visitors, the feeder trails will be full of day-tripping visitors and weekend campers.
Winter: Royal Mountain makes for a delightful snow season destination. Expect some huge post holing in drifts for a solid workout.
Find more about Weather in Grant, CO
Click for weather forecast


Bandit and Rosalie from summitBandit and Rosalie from summit
Stunted summit treesStunted summit trees
Royal Mountain SummitRoyal Mountain Summit


Descending western slopesDescending western slopes


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.