North Gulley Ascent/Descent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.76030°N / 116.6823°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: intermediate
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Starting from Humber Park, take the North Face Trail which runs parallel to the small run-off stream from Strawberry Creek. Turning left away from the Ernie Maxwell trail, stay on the left of the stream and continue upwards on obvious trail and cross the stream after about 300'. The direct trail to the North Face of Tahquitz Rock is moderately steep through the pines and remains rolling as you traverse along the base of the rock to your left.

Route Description

An obvious deep gulley will appear at the onsight of Far East, a 200' wall face to the east (left) of North Gulley. Continue up the gulley, easy Class 3 scrambling for approximately 500' to Summit Blocks which will appear on your right. Up and over the Summit Blocks will put you on the summit of Tahquitz Rock at 8000' for an awesome view of the Inland Empire.

Essential Gear

Summertime gear required can be as simple as approach shoes and comfortable clothing. Bring water as it does get quite warm in the afternoon.
Wintertime gear strongly suggested are crampons, general mountaineering axe, and warm, waterproof clothing.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.