SW Gully/South Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.76030°N / 116.6823°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview: A Hiker's Route

If you are not a technical climber or cannot or don’t care to free solo a low Class 5 route such The Trough, here is a hiker’s route/ Class 3 scramble to the top of this beautiful 8,000+ foot peak. This route is short, about 3 miles with 1,600 feet of gain. It is an alternative Class 3 route to the one described as North Gulley Descent.


Tahquitz (Lily) Rock from Humber ParkTahquitz (Lily) Rock seen from Humber Park, 7.21.07

Getting There

Off of Interstate 10 in the vicinity of Banning take the 8th Street (SR 243) exit east toward Idyllwild. Follow the signs for SR 243 just after you get off the freeway. Drive 25 miles on SR 243 (winding mountain road) to the Idyllwild Ranger Station (San Bernardino National Forest) on your left at Pine Crest Avenue. Turn left onto Pine Crest Avenue and follow the signs to Humber Park. About 2.2 miles from the Ranger Station, you will pass the climber’s trail for Suicide Rock. Continue straight another .4 miles to Humber Park. Park here along the road.

Route Description

At the southwest end of Humber Park, get on the marked Ernie Maxwell Trail heading south. After about ¾ mile, the trail makes a fairly sharp right where it crosses a gully. Go left off the trail into the gully. The gully ascends in an easterly direction.

Suicide Rock from Maxwell TrailSuicide Rock from Maxwell Trail, 7.21.07

Hikers in SW Gully to Tahquitz RockHikers in SW Gully to Tahquitz Rock, 7.21.07

Tahquitz (Lily) Rock from GullyTahquitz Rock seen from SW Gully, 7.21.07


You will be able to follow a use trail most of the way. The gully is narrow so if you lose the trail just keep heading up without worrying about getting off course. In about ¾ mile, the gully will place you in a small saddle just southeast of Tahquitz Rock's summit.

Tahquitz Peak from Saddle SE of Tahquitz RockTahquitz Peak from saddle SE of Tahquitz Rock, 7.21.07


From the saddle, go northwest up easy Class 3 rock to the summit. The rock scramble is very short. It will take you just a few minutes from saddle to summit.

3d Class Route to Tahquitz (Lily) RockView of 3d Class route to summit. The route begins to the right of the bushes at bottom and proceeds diagonally to the left.

Essential Gear

No gear necessary during non-winter months. You will get good footing with either trail shoes or hiking boots on the rock section. Trekking poles may be helpful for descending the gully.

During winter months, the gully may require crampons and of course you should anticipate what the condition of the rock section might be and bring along any gear you might need to do the route safely.

Red Tape

Wilderness permits are required year round. The permits are limited to 12 persons per party. They can be obtained at the Idyllwild Ranger Station (54270 Pine Crest Rd., Idyllwild, CA 92549, phone 909.382-2921) at the corner of SR 243 and Pine Crest Road. This is en route to Humber Park.

Other Information

USGS Topo 7.5 San Jacinto Peak 7.5 Idyllwild

External Links

Rock Climbing in Idyllwild
Hiking Around Idyllwild
NWS--Weather Conditions in Riverside County Mountains

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.