Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.47840°N / 106.1054°W
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12665 ft / 3860 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Yellow Alpine FlowerYellow alpine flower


Peak 7 is a very low prominence peak, essentially a northern buttress peak of Peak 8 rising only 45 feet above the saddle between the two. Petite as it is, Peak 7 is part of the famous Breckenridge skyline. Numerous visitors to Breckenridge enjoy view of the peak from countless restaurant windows and condo balconies and residents are greeted by the peak, lined up with its Tenmile Range neighbors, daily. Peak 7 is one of the primary areas of the Breckenridge Ski Resort and, low prominence or otherwise, it is one of the “numbered peaks” of the Tenmile Range.

From the top of this mountain the visitor can peer down upon two ski resorts: Breckenridge and Copper Mountain. Several highways thread out in view including Hwy 91 and Hwy 9. In addition to nearby fellow Tenmile Range peaks, several mountain ranges readily visible, including the rugged Gore Range, the laid-back by lofty Mosquito Range and the soul-lifting Sawatch.

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 45 feet
USGS Quad: Breckenridge
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #109: Breckenridge | Tennessee Pass

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There

Jacque Peak from Peak 7Across the Jacque Peak extension of the Gore Range

Peak 7 is a remarkably accessible peak. Below is a summary of key access points / route options.



Access Point / RouteCommentary
Briar Rose Mine / County Road 751This trailhead can be a bit tricky to find. Accessed from the east side of the Beaver Run resort parking lot, follow the signs to the Breckenridge Stables and continue up the road toward Briar Rose Mine as high as you wish (and as high as is suitable to your vehicle given road conditions, even above timberline. This road is not accessible during ski season. Visit Ed F’s route page for the east ridge of Peak 9 for more details on how to get there. As a bonus, you can first summit Peak 8, then descend to the saddle with Peak 7 before ascending the southern ridge of Peak 7.
Wheeler Trail from Spruce CreekThe turnoff from Hwy 9 to reach this trail can be a bit tricky to locate. From the town of Blue River, turn right on Blue Lakes Road (FDR 850), then turn right onto McCullough Gulch Road (FDR 851). Refer to mtnhiker13’s Spruce Creek Route for Crystal Peak for more detailed driving directions.
Wheeler Trail from Hwy 91Accessing the Tenmile Range from the west, this peak may simplify the chaos of the eastern Breckenridge access, but you may have Copper Mountain resort traffic to deal with. Per the USFS, here’s how to get to the trailhead: From I-70 take Exit 195, Copper Mountain / Leadville, and travel south on HWY 91 toward Leadville. Immediately past I-70, turn left at the gas station and continue on the road to the parking area.
Miners Creek TrailThis route approaches Peak 7 from the northeast. To reach this trailhead after leaving I-70 at Exit 203, travel south on Hwy 9 to Frisco. From the traffic light at Main Street and Summit Boulevard, continue for ½ mile to the next traffic light at County Road 1003. A 4x4 may be able to truncate the amount of boot travel required for this route.
Tenmile TraversePeak 7 can be summited as part of the TEnmile Traverse, which can be attempted from either the north (Royal Mountain) or the south (officially ending at Peak 10, though others add additional peaks on for further suffering). To learn more about this classic ridge run on this SummitPost site: Tenmile Traverse


Peaks 8 and 7 from BreckenridgePeaks 8 and 7 from Breckenridge

Red Tape

Looking up at Peak 8Looking up at Peak 8
Copper Mountain resortCopper Mountain resort


In the summer, there is little red tape governing use of this part of the National Forest. There are no permits required to climb this peak, and parking (though limited at some access points) if free of charge.

In the winter, however, the eastern access to this peak becomes overwhelmed by the popular Breckenridge Ski Resort.

Northern SawatchNorthern Sawatch anchored by Mount of the Holy Cross

Camping & Lodging

Looking up at Peak 8Looking up at Peak 8
North along the Tenmile RangeNorth along the Tenmile Range
SW along CO 91Southwest along CO 91
South from the summit of Peak 7South from the summit of Peak 7


Rustic Camping
Camping in the immediate vicinity of this mountain is limited. There is rustic 4x4 camping above timberline below the Briar Rose mine on the northern slopes of Crystal Peak and Peak 10.

Hotels, Cabins & B&Bs

Blue River & Breckenridge
A wide variety of lodging options can be found in Breckenridge and Blue River, ranging from simple hotel rooms to luxury mountain retreats. Rates may be moderate in the shoulder season (spring and fall) and tolerable in the summer. Expect astronomical lodging rates during the winter ski season.

Detailed information on Breckenridge area lodging (including Blue River) may be found here: Breckenridge Area Lodging

Fairplay & Alma
On the other side of Hoosier Pass, the communities of Fairplay and Alma provide a more laid-back atmosphere and more reasonable prices for lodging. Fewer hotel rooms and lodges exist on this side of the pass, but privately-owned rental cabins can allow for ample privacy with all of the comforts of home.

Detailed information about lodging in Fairplay and Alma may be found here: South Park Area Lodging

Weather & Seasons

NNE across Dillon ReservoirNNE across Dillon Reservoir
The rugged GoresThe rugged Gores
Nearing summit of Peak 7Nearing summit of Peak 7
NE from Peak 7NE from Peak 7



• During ski season, access from the east via the Breckenridge Ski Resort can be mired in crowds and potential access challenges (including, but not limited to, backcountry closures for avy blasting). The heavy snowfall in the area that make the resort possible also make it imperative that hikers check the area CAIC avalanche forecast prior to attempting this summit in snow season and constantly evaluate snow conditions.
• In summer and early fall, before the heavy snow falls, this peak makes for a pleasant destination to enjoy cool mountain breazes. Expect cool to cold overnight lows with crisp to warm days, primarily sunny early in the day but with high risk of the classic Rocky Mountain afternoon thunderstorm. Late summer into fall brings cool to cold temperatures, bright golden aspen and orange and crimson tundra, perhaps with a dusting of snow.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.