Pizzo delle Segade

Pizzo delle Segade

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.04648°N / 9.63363°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7113 ft / 2168 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pizzo delle SegadePizzo delle Segade seen from the east

I have a special relationship to Pizzo delle Segade though I can't decide whether my experience was bad or good. In 2015 we stayed at Chiavenna, north of Lago di Como for our fall vacation. On the second day we escaped forecasted cloudy weather on the Alpine main ridge and drove to Passo San Marco in the Alpi Orobie. We wanted to hike east along the ridgeline of the range. The first summit was Pizzo delle Segade, which we reached barely half an hour after our start. We hiked on towards Monte Fioraro, then descended towards the south when clouds started to develop. After a few hours we returned as it didn't make sense to go on in this weather and after passing Pizzo delle Segade decided to hike back up to the ridge and follow it back to the pass.
The end to a vacationThe end to a vacation - broken finger to the left

There are two minor summits on that short stretch and as we crossed the first of them, Judith slipped above the steepest section and fell down the south face for some 60m, seemingly unable to stop herself on the steep grass slope. I quickly joined her picking up all the debris of her fall. She was dazed and hurting and we soon realized she had broken her hand. Only her hand I have to add. A long night followed with hospital, x-rays and the realization she would have to be operated on. Thus we broke off the vacation, headed back home and had her hand operated next day. Probably the shortest vacation we ever had...


Pizzo delle Segade is the first named summit east of Passo San Marco, a road pass south of Morbegno in Valtellina / Veltlin. It belongs to the Alpi Orobie Main Ridge but turns out to be only a minor summit. Moreover it is less than 200m higher than the pass and only about 1km to the east of it so that it can be reached in little more than half an hour.
Pizzo delle SegadePizzo delle Segade seen from the Monte Fioraro south slopes

Thus it is rarely climbed for itself but rather as a peak to be bagged on the way to the higher and easily more impressive Monte Fioraro to its north-east. Still, its position on the ridge makes Pizzo delle Segade an excellent lookout peak with wide ranging views towards the Val Massino Alps, the eastern part of the Alpi Orobie as well as the Gringe Range.
Summit Cross and Monte Ponteranncia
Looking towards the Val Massino Alps
Monte Ponterancia

North of Pizzo delle Segade there is a very impressive saddle, which separates it from the greater bulk of Monte Fioraro. The connecting ridge turns into a knife edge and here the main hiking trail drops down an impressively steep couloir to circumvent a lower Fioraro side summit. A path reminiscent of some of the finest trails in the faraway Julian Alps...

One last comment: it's easy access and good views should make Pizzo delle Segade one hell of a spot to watch (or photograph) sunsets.

Getting There

Summit Panorama from Pizzo delle Segade towards the Alpi Orobie

Trailhead for Pizzo delle Segade is Passo San Marco.
    • From Milano take SS36 passing Monza and Lecco along the eastern shore of Lago di Como
    • After Curcio switch to SS38 into Valtellina / Veltlin
    • In Morbegno follow the signs for Passo San Marco (SP8)

    • Alternatively take motorway A4 from Milano to Bergamo
    • Switch to SS470 to its end at Piazza Brembana
    • Stay on the road (SP1 / SP8) which leads across Passo San Marco.

    Red Tape

    Pizzo Badile (3305m), Pizzo Cengalo (3369m), Sciora Dadent (3234m), Cima della Bondasca (3234m), Pizzo di Zocca (3174m), Cima di Castello (3375m), Punta Rasica (3306m), Torrione Occidentale (3351m)All your important summits of the Val Massino Alps

    There's no red tape here. Parking is a bit of a problem in the Passo San Marco area. Either come early to take one of the two or three spot on the pass or be creative up and down the road on either side.

    When to Climb

    Thanks to the short and easy route you should be able to hike or snowshoe Pizzo delle Segade in any season and any conditions. Heading onwards to Monte Fioraro, however, would be restricted to secure and stable conditions.

    Accommodation

    Weather Conditions




    Maps & Books

    Maps


    • Digital Maps
    • Regular Maps
      • Lecco, Val Brembana
        Kompass Map WK105
        Kompass Verlag
        1:500000
        ISBN: 978-3-85026-463-1


    Books


    • Veltlin
      Reto Solèr, Maria Schabel
      Rother Verlag
      ISBN: 978-3-7633-4373-7
    • Comer See
      Eugen E. Hüsler
      Rother Verlag
      ISBN: 978-3-7633-4040-8

    Route

    Add Route text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alpi OrobieMountains & Rocks