Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.46890°N / 8.44213°E
Additional Information County: Switzerland
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8727 ft / 2660 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Poncione di Val Piana rises in the middle of the Val Bedretto, Tessin Canton, Switzerland, on the way to Nufenenpass.
It is a nice panoramic point, considered a classical of the ski during the winter season.

Since its central location in val Bedretto, it offers to the visitor a large view on the Blinnenhorn group, the Oberland peacks and the higher mountain of the north side of Val Bedretto: Chuebodenhorn, Pizzo Rotondo, Gerenhorn and Poncione di Pesciora.

Val Bedretto it is one of the more snowy place of Switzerland and considered a paradise for ski.

Getting There

From Italy (Milano): from Milano drive along the A9-highway Milano-Como-Chiasso to the Italian-Swiss border of Chiasso. Then Follow direction Passo del Gottardo (Gotthard pass) along the A2-highway or E35 to Airolo. Just before the Gotthard tunnel leave the highway direction Nufenenpass-Val Bedretto.

From Switzerland (Luzern): drive south on the A2 highway (direction Lugano and Milano). Pass the Gotthard tunnel and just outside it turn on your left direction Nufenen-Val Bedretto-Airolo.

From Airolo follow direction val Bedretto Nufenenpass. The way rises on the bottom of the Bedretto valley till the small village of All'Acqua. In winter time the way ends at All'acqua closed by a barrier. Free parking facilities there.

From All'Acqua, just 100 meters after the barrier closing the way follow for a small bridge crossing the Ticino river. Then follow the steped way up along a high voltage line entering into the val Cavagnolo, a small and lonely lateral valley. Easily continue to rise with from right to left direction (going up) to reach a saddle between two small peacks. The Poncione it is just behind this saddle about 200 meters up.
Easy and very popular, you can find traces left by other skiers.

Red Tape

Val Bedretto is sourrounded by steped mountains. Usually meters of snow falls ther ein winter. The risk of avalange it is very high for all the peacks sourrounding val Bedretto.

Evaluate carefully the avalange risk
For meteo and avalange risk:

http://www.slf.ch/welcome-en.html

Swiss topo: N°265 Nufenenpass 1:50000

Camping

At All'Acqua ther eis a guest-house very confortable. As well Airolo being a winte rsport center offers many hotels or guest house.

External Links

Add External Links text here.