Red Pine Mountain (UT)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.05260°N / 112.5769°W
Additional Information County: Tooele
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8516 ft / 2596 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Red Pine Mountain (UT)

Red Pine Mountain (UT)

Overview

A change of pace mountain about an hour from the I-15 corridor in Utah county.
It is a very obvious mountain from anywhere west of 5 mile Pass and can be accessed by the Pony Express road as that road heads west to Lookout Pass.

Red Pine is at the northern end of the Sheeprock mountain range, the range that contains Black Crook Peak. It provides I had noticed Red Pine Peak on my many excursions out via the Pony Express road and decided that I would like to climb it sometime. Then I read Eric Willhites trip report on this peak and that sealed the deal, I definitely added it to my list. There is nothing technical or difficult this mountain but when the weather isn't cooperating in the Wasatch mountains, this one might provide an alternative and get you out into the fresh air.
Red Pine Mountain (UT)Summit area

Getting There

From I-15, take the Lehi exit (279) that leads to Saratoga Springs. At the junction of Redwood road and the road from I-15, it is about 50 miles to the pass at 7070'. At five mile pass, take the pony express road to highway 36, take a left onto highway 36 and then take a right off of highway 36 onto the Pony Express road as it heads toward Lookout Pass. The pavement turns into a good gravel road. Cross over the pass and drop down the hill toward Simpson Springs/Dugway. Just before the road levels out making a big curve to the south, watch for a sign on the right that will point left to “Little Valley”. Drive up the Little Valley Road for several miles to a pass (6,400 feet). From there, a rough 4WD road cuts left toward Red Pine Mountain. If you don't have high clearance, park at the pass and walk the road, it isn't all that far to the summit from there. If you have high clearance, don't mind some scratches on your paint job and perhaps 4WD, you should be able to make it to the pass at 7070' under most condition. Or as mentioned before, you can park at the pass or at any point where your comfort level gets tested beyond the 6400' pass.
Red Pine Mountain (UT)

Red Pine Mountain (UT)

After you turn south onto the Little Valley road, you will pass an information kiosk with a log in book to the left. When you see this, you
are on the right road and continue on to the pass mentioned earlier.

Red Tape

This area is BLM land and you need to practice good stewardship and help to keep the area the way you found it. This area is very popular with the ATV set on weekends although not as popular when the weather gets colder.

BLM link

Camping

There are many areas that one could camp and those areas will be obvious to you as you drop over the west side from Lookout Pass. The camping is bare bones and without camp tables or vault toilets.
Red Pine Mountain (UT)

Weather

Route

From the road noted in the getting there section, it was about 4 miles round trip with 1600 feet of elevation gain. Eric Willhite has a nice map on his trip report that I can refer you to until I get my own map posted here.

From the saddle at 7075, head south up the north ridge to the main ridgeline at the top and follow it to the peak. There is an ATV trail for the first couple hundred yards from the saddle and then it is just a matter of picking your way up the ridge from the ATV road. Eric went up another ridge so there are several good possible ways to go.


Pony Express Trail links

Part of the way to this peak is on historic ground, the ground the Pony Express trail covered
Round Top
Atop the monument

Link
The Pony Express trail in western Utah
More Pony Express in Utah
Driving the Pony Express road (scroll to #5)
Another good Pony Express site.

Disclaimer

As road conditions can change and hiking or traveling in this type of country can be inherently dangerous, the above information is provided only as a courtesy. You accept all risk and responsibility for your activities in this area and I recommend that you let others know of your plans and where you will be hiking/climbing prior to heading to this area. Be self sufficient and carry plenty of food, water and shelter in the event of a breakdown. Good quality tires are a necessity on the rough and rocky roads you will encounter as is a vehicle in good condition. Having said all that, have a good trip and please let the author of this page know of changes that you encounter.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Scott

Scott - Sep 8, 2013 7:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Another name

It may be worth mentioning that some maps label this peak as Lookout Mountain. Such is the case with the 1:250,000 scale maps and some of the other maps as well.

Dean

Dean - Sep 8, 2013 7:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another name

My National Geographic topo map for the state of Utah labels it as Red Pine Mountain.

Scott

Scott - Sep 9, 2013 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another name

Indeed. Red Pine is probably the more common name of the two, but it might be good to mention that some maps label it Lookout. At least this one only has one name. Some in the region have at least three. Fool Peak, Fool Creek Peak, and Scipio Peak are all the same peak, but different maps use different names. Musina Peak, Mollies Nipple, and Marys Nipple are all the same peak as well! Seems to be common in the region. (PS, I accidentally erased part of your post. Sorry about that.)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3