Skolai Basin Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 61.63548°N / 142.08841°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 4300 ft / 1311 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This page contains all the mountains accessible from Skolai Airstrip / Basin. There are almost no roads, trails, etc in the whole of the Wrangells so organizing by airstrip makes the most sense. 

Given the many obsticals of the Alaskan wilderness, its best to half whatever over-land speeds you are used to in places like National Parks in the lower 48 of the United States. Ex: 14 miles a day turns into 7 miles of scree-ravine-tundra-river crossing-bush whacking.

All peaks are only backcountry accessible

Getting There

Fly into Skolai Airstrip.

Wrangell Mountain Air is the most used and maybe only bush service to access the Southern Wrangells, there are other services for other regions. They are based out of MacCarthy down the two hour long dirt Macarthy Road which has some reputation for being rough, but as of 2019 was in very good repair. There is no road into McCarthy. There are a couple camping areas before a foot bridge across the river. The town is about one mile after that.

Red Tape

Wrangell Mountain Air can book up (if you can believe it) so scheduling your flights in advance is advisable. When there I was able to schedule bush flights in last minute but could not do exactly what I wanted and had to be flexible because their 2 seater was getting maintenance and they didn't want to fly out just two people in a 4 seater due to cost.

There is no backcountry permitting.

Risks

Brown bear exist all over the park, be bear-prepared. You can take propane and bear spray on the backcountry planes

There is near constant rock fall anywhere near glaciers. Not uncommong for microwave or larger blocks to come down several times a day and smaller stuff several times an hour.

Water is not often an issue, it is everywhere in the summer as the glaciers melt. Many creeks exist not on maps, some rivers have jumped their banks.

Prepare for river crossings. Skolai Creek can be quite rushing and probably not crossable unless near the headwaters near the Skolai Airstrip. Other rivers can easily become knee deep in places when crossing. Often best to walk across with heavy packs and get wet instead of rock hoping. Do not try this barefoot.

Self Reliance. This is Alaska, do not expect to see people, have celluar reception or nearby emergency services. Consider bringing a spot, but rescue will not be as fast as YOSAR in Yosemite National Park.

External Links

Some good backpacking routes back here include: 

The Goat Trail

The Upper Goat Trail

The Hole in the Goat Trail



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wrangell MountainsAreas & Ranges