Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.22500°N / 114.976°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3364 ft / 1025 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A view up to the summit
Sunrise Mountain sets to the east of Nellis Air Force Base near Las Vegas. One can watch the sun rise over it in the morning from North Las Vegas and Nellis AFB. This rarely climbed peak gives one the best birds eye view of Nellis AFB. On the north side of the base resides Nellis AFB Area 2, formerly known as Lake Mead Base. This location stores many nuclear weapons.

Sunrise Mountain is often confused with it’s neighbor to the south, Frenchman Mountain. Traveling East on Lake Mead Blvd. from I-15 in Las Vegas you will enter a pass. Sunrise Mountain is the small peak on the north side of the pass. Frenchman Mountain is the more prominent peak on the south side of the pass.
Sunrise MountainSunrise Mtn

Both Sunrise and Frenchman contain Vishnu Schist, some of the oldest rocks in North America, at their base. These rocks date back about 2 billion years in earth’s history.

Sunrise Mountain can best be climbed from October-May. Being at lower elevation it would be extremely hot during the summer months.

Getting There

From I-15 in Las Vegas, exit at Lake Mead Blvd East (Exit 45B). Drive approximately 8.2 miles to the East up to the pass between Sunrise and Frenchman. There is a parking area on the right (south side of the road). This is by the service road that goes up Frenchman Mtn.

Alternatively one could park at the Albertsons at 6885 E Lake Mead Blvd, just east of Hollywood along Lake Mead BLVD, and hike from here. This would be good if one is more concerned about their vehicle being broken into as it is in a more populated area. Break-ins have been known off the road in this area.

There are some 4WD roads in the area but these roads have been closed to motor vehicles. Be aware of people that go on these roads to dump!

Sunrise Mountain

Red Tape

Don't be tempted to drive on the 4WD roads near here. The BLM is cracking down on this.

For more information contact:

Management Agency:
Bureau of Land Management
Las Vegas Field Office
4701 North Torrey Pines Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
(702) 515-5000

The Hike

Topo Map of our route
If parking on the service road at the base of Frenchman Mountain, cross the highway. You'll then have to hike over the small hills. Once over the hills head north crossing the 4WD road and then start hiking up the ridge for the summit. This will be about 4 miles round trip with about 950 feet of net elevation gain.

If parking at the Albertsons or along Lake Mead BLVD, hike to the base of the mountains along Lake Mead Blvd. Then turn left just before the hills on the north side of the HWY. Hike between the valley between the hills and the south side of Sunrise Mountain. Head for the south ridge and start hiking up to the summit. This will be approximately 6.5 miles roundtrip with about 1,300 feet of elevation gain.



Weather for nearby Nellis AFB


External Links

  • Dynamic Red, White and Blue Display “TRIBUTE TO THE TROOPS” AT NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE IN LAS VEGAS
  • Flashback History of how Sunrise and Frenchman have been confused
  • flood basin An article of land near Sunrise
  • Sunrise Mountain or Frenchman Mountain?
  • Sunrise Mountain or Frenchman Mountain? Sunrise Mountain or Frenchman Mountain? Link explaining Sunrise Mountain and Frenchman Mountain
  • Restoring Sunrise
  • Geocache Geocache on Sunrise Mountain

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-3 of 3
    gimpilator

    gimpilator - Feb 22, 2018 2:16 am - Hasn't voted

    Standard Route ruined

    I did the standard route today, starting from the Frenchman parking area. There is a new gun firing range in the valley southwest of the peak with live fire aimed at the route. This is the same valley which you used to be able to hike up from the Albertsons parking lot. The firing ceased while I was hiking at the head of this valley, so they must have seen me, but the firing resumed with intensity after I passed. I felt my life was endangered. If I had know about it before hand, I would not have gone this way. Long distance targets were not far from where I was hiking. This new gun range does not yet appear on satellite images, so it must be a recent developed. I descended a canyon on the east side of the mountain. I suggest that future parties avoid the firing range completely. A new route needs to be explored and described. Furthermore, there are several summits of nearly equal height about a third of a mile apart. Anyone claiming the peak should visit both.

    T. White

    T. White - Jan 21, 2020 11:41 am - Hasn't voted

    Re: Standard Route ruined

    Looks like this is the "John T. Moran" (LVMPD) firing range, which is now on the map. What a shame. Looks like its neighbors aren't fans, either. I heard it all the way from Frenchman's summit this weekend.

    Candace66

    Candace66 - Aug 18, 2021 3:03 pm - Hasn't voted

    Re: Standard Route ruined

    There's nothing new about that range, it belongs to Metro (LVMPD) and has been there for years. While it has expanded a bit over the years, the original facility is visible on June 1994 satellite imagery (Google Earth). And I doubt that was a target you saw close at hand, it was likely just a sign. You're over a mile from the range at that point!

    Viewing: 1-3 of 3