The Blue Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51780°N / 71.3694°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA THE CARRIAGE ROAD: From the I-93 exit in Tilton (exit 20) take route 3 east toward Laconia. Make a right on Route 11 bypass rough six miles east of I-93. Get on to 11A heading towards Gilford. Make a right on Belknap Mountain Road. Head through the town center of Gilford and head for almost 3 miles. Make a left at the old sign pointing to Belknap Mountain. Head up the road all the way to the trailhead which is at the end of the road.

Route Description

View from Belknap Mountain...


Blue Trail
Elevation Gain 700 ft.
Distance 1.2 miles


From the trailhead head past the old parking garage and stay on the Blue Trail as the Green and Red Trail will begin on the right. Continue up the easy class 1 trail through the thick forest to a saddle that lies between Gunstock and Belknap Mountains. Head right where there will be a sign point to the Belknap summit. The trail will steepen is this section until the trail reaches a grassly ledge with fine views toward Gunstock Mountain. The trail then continues up to summit at a moderate pitch with good footing (as opposed to green trail with very poor footing). THere are no other views until reaching the summit.



Essential Gear

Only essential hiking gear is needed on this trail during summer. In winter the entire route to the top of Belknap Mountain is much longer due to the winter road closing so bring good winter clothing as well as crampons and snowshoes.



Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.