The White Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51780°N / 71.3694°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Views from this trail

Approach

VIA THE CARRIAGE ROAD: From the I-93 exit in Tilton (exit 20) take route 3 east toward Laconia. Make a right on Route 11 bypass rough six miles east of I-93. Get on to 11A heading towards Gilford. Make a right on Belknap Mountain Road. Head through the town center of Gilford and head for almost 3 miles. Make a left at the old sign pointing to Belknap Mountain. Head up the road all the way to the trailhead which is at the end of the road.

Route Description

Belknap Mountain from Piper...


Gunstock Mountain from...


The White Trail is easily the most scenic of all of the trails that climb up to the summit of Belknap Mountain. The views to the south from the trail are the best views on any one of the trail. The White Trail also connects to the very little known but extremely scenic Piper Mountain Trail which continues to the partial exposed summit of Piper Mountain with a large amount of incredible views.

From the main Belknap Mtn. parking area head back down the road 0.2 miles to the trailhead for the White trail that heads to the summit of Belknap Mountain. The start of as a gradual to moderate rise up a thick decidious tree forest. For roughly 0.3 mile the trail continues to rise until running into an intersection where the White Trail make a left and the the other trail, The Old Piper Mtn. Trail head straight.

Make aleft on this section where the trail will go up several moderate pitch switchbacks before reaching scenic views towards the south. After the scenic views the trail becomes steeper as it rises through the woods and over class 1 ledges as it rises towards the summit. The trail maintain the same steeper pitach until a few hundred yards from the summit where the trail runs into another trail that heads east. The White trails heads a few hundred yards more to the summit fire tower where more views can be seen.

Belknap Mountain from Piper...


Essential Gear

Only hiking gear is need to climb Belknap Mountain in summer. However in winter I would advise yal-traks, crampons and/or snowshoes for this trail



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.