The Green Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51780°N / 71.3694°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA THE CARRIAGE ROAD: From the I-93 exit in Tilton (exit 20) take route 3 east toward Laconia. Make a right on Route 11 bypass rough six miles east of I-93. Get on to 11A heading towards Gilford. Make a right on Belknap Mountain Road. Head through the town center of Gilford and head for almost 3 miles. Make a left at the old sign pointing to Belknap Mountain. Head up the road all the way to the trailhead which is at the end of the road.

Route Description

From the Belknap Mountain...


The Green Trail
EL 700 ft.
Trip one way: 0.8 miles



The Green Trail is the most direct way to the summit of Belknap Mountain. It is also the trail with the worst footing. I would highly recommend hiking this trail with shoes that have good tread . Though there are no class 2 sections in terms of steepness or risk of falling of a cliff, but the glasslike rock espcially when wet and make you fall. There is a sign saying the trail is not recommended for descent. The slippery rock is the only thing that I can think of on this trail to warrant this sign.

The trail starting from the Carriage Road parking area go up where the Red, Green and Blue all begin. The Green Trail will then leave on the right, The trail begins at a moderate pace. The trail then alters between moderate and steep. There is one small ledge section that isn't so much steep but very worn-down and slippery. The follows near a telephone pole where parts of follow the section while other newly built section go along the side of this section. The trail hits the summit fire tower (active where great views can be seen.

Essential Gear

Only essential hiking gear is needed on this trail during summer. Make sure though your shoes have good tred. The rock on this trail is as smooth as glass, especially when wet. I nearly slipped three times wearing upscale backpacking shoes.

In winter the entire route to the top of Belknap Mountain is much longer due to the road closing so bring good winter clothing as well as crampons and snowshoes.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.